Author Topic: Parochial Chapelry of Barnsley?  (Read 4062 times)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Parochial Chapelry of Barnsley?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 October 14 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm

I think what you are reading as "Sept" is actually the abbreviation of "Baptism".

Could be either.  ???

I'll look at the BT's at Borthwick York or Leeds WYAS the next time I'm over there  :)

'Ult' is abbreviation of latin 'ultimo'

ULT means "Last month (from Latin ultimo)"

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 October 14 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm

I think what you are reading as "Sept" is actually the abbreviation of "Baptism".

'Ult' is abbreviation of latin 'ultimo'

ULT means "Last month (from Latin ultimo)"

Agree-see my post # 6
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 October 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
If it is bapt (Not Sep1-('st' above) Then entry 422 is Bapt 30 November (Last day)

So is entry 423 Frances bapt 1 st Dec ? or of the same month -ditto 30 th November ( I cant see a ditto)

Or is November in entry 422 ment to be the start of the next entry below in Frances entry 423 meaning entry 422 is 30th October
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 October 14 08:03 BST (UK) »
My reading is that the birth, the first one under the "November" heading, is 20th ult-ie 20 Oct, with the baptism on 1 Nov.
NEAL, TAYLOR, WRIGHT, BIDWELL, PRICE, YEARDLEY, RODGERS, HANDLEY, ELLIS, LOWE, HOUGH, ANNABLE, DAWSON, SANDERSON, PARKIN

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 October 14 08:04 BST (UK) »
Give me a  few week to check it out

Dobby  ;)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 October 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
The PR registers are held at Wakefield Yorks for St Mary Barnsley and All Saint's Silkstone

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archives/Collections%20Guide%201.pdf

And are on Micro film in my local library

BT's are at York

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 October 14 08:44 BST (UK) »
Whoever wrote up the parish register did not like to give many clues as to the month  ::).  The only way to actually verify the month of baptism would be to work back from image 30 (of the 48 images shown under 1814) - where entries for 1815 commence  ;D  But then Frances appears again - as being baptised 1 July 1814 (same parents etc.) on image 44 of 48.  :o :o

The entry reads, in the column "When Baptised" -  Born 20th ult: bp 1st

Good luck!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ctrunfree

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 October 14 11:20 BST (UK) »
Whoever wrote up the parish register did not like to give many clues as to the month  ::).  The only way to actually verify the month of baptism would be to work back from image 30 (of the 48 images shown under 1814) - where entries for 1815 commence  ;D  But then Frances appears again - as being baptised 1 July 1814 (same parents etc.) on image 44 of 48.  :o :o

The entry reads, in the column "When Baptised" -  Born 20th ult: bp 1st

Good luck!

When I scrolled back through the rest of the entries, it looks like each new month was noted in the middle of the page (like Nov in the extract).  Once you realise that it makes sense.  Maybe saving ink?

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 October 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
Maybe the author of the register (Vicar maybe) was bit a physic & had visions of long into the future descentants being addicted 'Silly Billy's ' getting a 'high' on future electric mass volume data collecting machines, taking their time off house duty of scrubbing their front doors steps often and turning over residue of outside toilets for the compost heap. Thus tried too deter them by comfusing PR registers or had a bottle of the hard stuff under the puplet  ;D or measured his ink  bottle levels often on ever inceasing price of ink as member 'ctrunfree' suggests

The BT's could be interesting.   ???