Author Topic: History on Carty Surname  (Read 2462 times)

Offline DAB-Canada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
History on Carty Surname
« on: Tuesday 19 June 12 23:30 BST (UK) »
I am a CARTY descendant and have reason to believe that our ancestors came from Ireland.  The first known record of a Carty in North America is of a John Carty, when he registered a son named James in Surry County, North Carolina in August of 1774. A United States census of 1810 shows him in Burksville, Kentucky, USA.   I am wondering if there would be any record of our family in Ireland records.   

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: History on Carty Surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There are many Cartys all over Ireland as shown in the 1901 census. See http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
   You would need to have a fairly accurate idea of where your family came from.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Paula Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've been researching Carty in Ireland (Wexford).  The line that I was researching may have ended up in the USA far earlier than the 1740s.  I did masses of research from 1996 until about 2004, when I had to stop due to time and health restrictions.  I intend to take up the research again when I become a senior citizen in July.

Two great-great-grandsons of one Denis Carty from the Wexford family that I was researching went to Baltimore in the mid-19th century, possibly to reconnect with their Carty relative (hoping to get some share in land or property).  A Denis Carty appears in ship's passenger lists in 1677 and sailed from Waterford to Maryland (closest port to Wexford for USA migration at the time). The direct descendant of one of those 19th century Cartys (who has recently died in the USA) lost was unable to pick up the family line in the USA but had one very important piece of family evidence: she had inherited an 18th century marriage settlement which clarified that her Carty ancestor was one Denis, owner of a farm named Birchgrove near Bree, Co Wexford.

When I resume research I hope to work on this Maryland connection to see if anything will come of it.

When I was in the USA in 2010, I went to Salt Lake City to search for Carty family information, found nothing about the Birchgrove-Baltimore connection, but came across the story of one David James Carty who was enlisted as a soldier in the USA prior to the 1770s and who died between 1832 and 1840 in Russell County, Virginia.  (I have the full transcript deposited by one Thomas Carty in 2001.)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 June 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   According to the Griffiths Valuation records there were two CARTY families in Bree Co. Wexford in 1853 headed by John Carty and Matthew Carty.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Paula Hayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 June 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   According to the Griffiths Valuation records there were two CARTY families in Bree Co. Wexford in 1853 headed by John Carty and Matthew Carty.

Regards
Hi,

Regards