Author Topic: peeblesshire  (Read 6855 times)

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
peeblesshire
« on: Tuesday 20 January 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm, looking for any info on the Castlecraig Estate, Blyth Bridge, West Linton.It was formerly called Kirkurd House. My main interests are the farms on the estate particularly Ladyurd and Scotstounbank / Scotston Bank/ Scotstonbank or any other variations. I believe it was at one time called Whinnybraes.The estate was split up on sale in the 1940's
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: peeblesshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
If you do an online search for 'a history of Peeblesshire' you will find that Google books have William Chambers book online. It may not answer your question but you may find the book interesting. Both Ladyurd and Scotstoun bank are mentioned.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
thanks Rae
You're correct(I already have the books) but they aren't specific enough
Avril
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander

Offline Tarth water

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 11 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  Not sure what info you're looking for. 

The estate was put up for auction in the 40's but was eventually sold complete to Major Thomson of Callands, I believe.  He sold some bits of it  and gave away other bits of it.  Inclided in this was castle craig House whichwas gifted to Peeblesshire tobe used for the benefit of children.  It was used as a residential school for children with physical disabilities for many years and was sold to Glasgow Corporation in 1970.

Don't think Scotston Bank was ever called Whinny Knowe.  Old maps of the area have Whinny Knowe on the other side of the valley nearer Ladyurd .

Are you are looking for something specific?

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 February 11 21:01 GMT (UK) »
On an old map we have (1810) Scotstounbank was named as Whinneybrae. Whinneyknowe was shown at Ladyurd.I'm just looking for any snippets of information about the area in general.
i have a copy of the Castlecraig sale in the 1940's when Scotstounbank was sold to the then tenants, the Johnstones.It was sold again upon their retiral in 1969.