Author Topic: James Robertson - Ship's Carpenter - Peterhead - Born before 1800  (Read 2183 times)

Offline celticmutt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Robertson - Ship's Carpenter - Peterhead - Born before 1800
« on: Tuesday 03 June 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
I am searching for information on the above individual.  I know he was married to Margaret Skinner in 1816 in Peterhead and at that time he was already a ship's carpenter.    (As was his son, James b: 1818; his son James, b: 1839 and my great grandfather, James b: 1859 - all also from Peterhead.)  Margaret Skinner was born in St. Nicholas in 1799.
The similarity of names in the area is making research difficult and I would appreciate any input.
I know already that there were 6 James Robertsons born in Peterhead from 1770 to 1805.  The two in 1801 and 1804 where probably too young to get married and also go through the 7 or so years of ship's carpenter apprenticeship.  I have death records for the one in 1786 and he was a weaver.  1770; 1777 and 1778 are still possibilities as of course is the situation that James was not born in Peterhead at all.
TIA for any help that anyone can offer!  This has been an ongoing research dead end for years!
Bill Robertson
New Jersey, USA