Author Topic: Why all these Spanish families in Sedgefield in the mid 1600s.  (Read 3334 times)

Offline brushbroomstick

• RootsChat Senior
  • John William Vickers & Emma Robson my grandparents
    • View Profile
Why all these Spanish families in Sedgefield in the mid 1600s.
« on: Monday 10 March 14 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Rudd married Jeronima and had a child John baptised in Staindrop in 1691. I cannot find trace of their marriage. I cannot find a birth for Thomas but have found several children with the name Jeronima/Geronima baptised in Sedgefield between 1662 and 1671. The parents of these children are Spanish by their names. There are in Sedgefield 5 families named Quatrado among other Spanish sounding names with children baptised in this period .What is the connection between all these Spanish families settling in Sedgefield?
Broom(e) - Staffs/Shropshire/ Durham
Burnett - Northumberland & Scottish Borders
Dickson - Scottish Borders/ Northumberland
Henry - Londonderry/ Durham
Morrell - Shropshire
Neale - Norfolk/Northumberland
Powell - Shropshire
Robson - Northumberland/Durham
Stott - Northumberland/Durham
Taylor- Holy Island/Bedlington
Vass- Inverness/ Newcastle/ Durham
Vickers- Cumberland/ Durham

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why all these Spanish families in Sedgefield in the mid 1600s.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 March 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »
When the Spanish Armada was defeated in 1588, a lot of the ships were shipwrecked of the coast of Britain when they were trying to get back to Spain. I was told as a child that our school secretary's husband's family was descended from one of the shipwrecked sailors. This was in south Dorset and there were other families locally with surnames supposed to have similar Spanish origins 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Deleted - in view of later posts
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 March 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
There is obviously  a mistake in the LDS system. If you look up the film number 1332356  in the LDS Library it is for Registros parroquiales, 1569-1887  Iglesia Católica. San Juan (Nava del Rey, Valladolid) Spain, Valladolid, Nava del Rey - Church records, nothing to do with Sedgefield, see http://is.gd/weLrjc

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 March 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Good detective work from Stan there ... I thought for one moment you were suggesting, brushbroomstick, that Jeronimy/Jeronima Rudd was Spanish purely on the basis of her Christian name (a search on FamilySearch for 17thC baptisms in County Durham with mother = Jeronimy turns up several other examples from families other than Rudd ... including at least one other in Staindrop).

Much less interesting of course than would have been the story of a whole bunch of Spaniards parachuting into Sedgefield at a time when Catholics would not have been made very welcome!

Jon
(Great x 6 grandson of Jeronimy Rudd)
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 March 14 18:41 GMT (UK) »
At that date the names in the parish registers would be in Latin, so Jeronimy/Jeronima is someones transcription of what they thought it was.

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 March 14 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Not in Latin - the 3 baptisms to this couple are transcribed variously on the IGI as 'Thomas & Jeronima', 'Thomas & Jerry' and 'Thomas & Heronimy' which (unfortunately I can't confirm against my notes from the Staindrop registers as they are currently separated from me by the North Sea) I'm sure are faithful transcriptions of the original entries in English.  I'm fairly sure that the LDS have always sought where possible to transcribe as written rather than to interpret or translate.

It's fun to be able to claim descent from Tom & Jerry  ;)

Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 March 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
it is unusual, isn't it? Hieronymus is Latin for Jerome/Jeremy but I don't remember seeing a feminine version before, claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 March 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
It certainly is.  I'm sure you have the right Latin root for it with Hieronima but there are only a handful of examples across the UK and all restricted to the 1642-1710 date bracket (ignoring the Spanish interlopers which as Stan pointed out earlier are clearly an LDS error).

There are also variants spelt Jeromiah and even Jeromimah which support your point about Hieronymus being Latin for Jerome or Jeremy.

I suppose it's fair to say that most male names have or have had a direct female equivalent so there's no reason why the same shouldn't apply to Jeremy/Jerome.