Author Topic: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe  (Read 18264 times)

Offline penmill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 06 October 13 21:38 BST (UK) »

Hi Brian, would you know if there are any maps or other records for the lands the Limricks owned around Union Hall? Thanks.

Hello Sonas,

Some details are listed in the NUI Galway - Estate Records website - (including the usual misspelling).

http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie:8080/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=2381.

My family tree is still a work in progress, but I've often found Skibb Girl's County Cork Pages website useful.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Brian
Limrick, Limerick, Hallihane

Offline kezd

• RootsChat Extra
  • I want to know MORE…Genealogy is an Addiction!
    • View Profile
Re: Driscoll - Neil - Rineen, Castlehaven to Rotherhithe
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 14 September 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
OK a bit of an update.
I went to the land registry in Dublin whilst in Ireland in June/July.  I found my John Driscoll living on land that I believe is the mill land with Rev Townsend the lessor.  There were a few houses under the one title.  I shall try to attach.
I asked around the local people and was told the Driscoll who was living there in the early 1900's went by the nickname Bawn.  His name was John and he lived with his sister Ellen - the children of Jeremiah Driscoll and Bridget McDonnell (daughter of Jeremiah McDonnell - butcher). John was a pensioner from the Coastguard.  Both John and Ellen are buried in Clonakilty's famine graveyard (during the 1940's). 

The house was on the main road near the mill an just across from a historic water pump.  It is now a pile of stones next to a couple of houses that are up for sale.  Apparently there was a shop nearby and I believe my O'Neal GG Grandmother was from the family that ran this.

I am curious if anyone can tell me about the nickname Bawn, and also the name Blackstaff as I believe there were Driscoll's and Fitzgeralds that went under this name? 

It would seem that a number of youngish men from this area ended up in London around the 1860's but there must have been earlier migrations as the Irish families seem to have connections already in the dock area.

I would very much like to find out anything I can about my family.  I wonder if the Driscoll's from Carrigtishane and Currabeg are related?
Driscoll's of Castlehaven and Baltimore, Cork/London/USA.  O'Neill/Neale. Higgins of Westport, Aughaval,  Ireland. Atkinson of Lurgen, Portodown, Ryan and Tynan of Holycross, Tipperary.  O'Rourke of Clonmel. Hollingsworth of Southwark/St Bottolph's, East London.