Author Topic: Kelly - Instigioe  (Read 4888 times)

Offline fionah1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly - Instigioe
« on: Friday 30 August 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for help to understand or get the correct family/children for a Kelly family living Instigioe in Kilkenny

I have found Patrick Kelly as follow:

Baptism
189027 Mar Kilkenny, Ireland Address Inistioge, Parish Inistiogue Father John Kelly Mother Mary Hogan Sponsor 1 Michael Cahil Sponsor 2 Margaret Tierney

I do not understand what sponsor means but also I am trying to find his siblings

In 1911 he is living in Sutton St Helens, Lancashire and married there also

It states his parents are John and Mary Kelly, and when I opened up this baptism it is confirmed as a note where he married and to whom so I know I have this right

But on the 1911 census it shows a Michael Kelly with him 25 as a border they where bording at the address but place of birth is galway

I am not familiar with Ireland so any help with siblings would be appreciated
Thanks
Fiona

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly - Instigioe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 August 13 21:59 BST (UK) »
To explain what a sponsor is at Baptism the following link will help,
www.catholicdoors.com
There is a search box at end of opening page,put in "baptism sponsor"
Sponsors are sometimes also called Godparents

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 August 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
do you think this is the right family on family search,
marriage John Kelly son of Daniel to Mary Hogan dtr of William 10 Feb 1868 ,Kilkenny.
children
4 nov 1868 Daniel all born Inistioge
2 Sep 1870 Judith
2 June 1872 Mary
10 Apr 1874 William
5 June 1876 Michael
8 Apr 1878 Ann.

there are births showing in Galway for a couple of the exact same names in the 1870s but one was born in dec 1877 so could not be a sibling to Ann born Apr 1878.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 August 13 13:33 BST (UK) »
1901 census John Kelly age 56 at 28 Inistioge, Kilkenny,
1911 census John Kelly age 66 at 14 Inistioge.
married 43 years 12 children born 9 alive.
 the Michael born Galway is most likely his brother born 1876 in Inistioge ,but why put down Galway on census form ?

Offline fionah1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 August 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much that is fantastic thank you for your help can you point me in the direction of the census returns? so I can see who else is at the address?

Do you think then the Michael Kelly aged 25 could have recorded wrong age and be the older brother of Patrick as they both say Galaway when it was Kilkenny

Also there is a large gap between Ann and Patrick wonder if there more children?

Thanks
Fiona

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 August 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
sorry i am not computer savvy enough to make the link to the census.
1901 shows John 56, Mary 53 ,John 20 ,James 17,Patrick 12,Edward 10.
1911 shows John 66, Mary 65,Tommie 23, Edward 20, Bridget 10 and Michael Murphy 4 possibly grandchildren. cant find Tommie[Thomas] age 13 on 1901 census.
 are you positive you have the right 1911 census in England for them, strange that they should put Galway as place of birth.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 September 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
go to ''Family Search.Org'' search under United Kingdom and Ireland then Ireland,
Ireland marriages 1619 1898 will give you John and Marys marriage,
Ireland Births and Baptisms 1620 to 1881 enter just parents names but ignore the Galway results as they are just coincidence with the same parents names.also note this search ends in 1881 where you can get the parents names ,after 1881 you have to go to the civil register which starts in 1864 and ends in 1958, just enter Kelly no first name and Thomastown as place of birth,the same applies for Johns marriage under marriages there you will get the call numbers for certificates volume number and page number if you want to apply for certificates from the General Register Office in Ireland cost 4euro. The civil registration search will give you a lot of duplication of names as Kelly is a common name in Kilkenny but you can try and match them through their age from the census which are not always accurate.
Regards Dathai.

Offline fionah1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 September 13 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thank ou so much for your help, I have now found the originals on line.

I have only just realised I thought i but the rest of findngs, i do know it is the right Patrick, as he is living a couple of streets away from his future wife in Sutton St. Helens and got married at the local cathaloic church
When I found the baptism it had been cross referenced to the marriage. With the gala way the Irish borders Michael and Patrick re written at the bottom was the recorder lazy? And just copied the Galaway? The only thing which is Michael was it his brother surely they would not travel alone. It's his age has it been recorded Wrong? He would have been 35 in April not 25

Need to find the rest of the births now for the younger children

Thanks again
Fiona

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 September 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
re the 1911 English as i have not seen the census return form i can only guess that whoever was the head of household was not related to Patrick or Michael and just filled out what he or she thought was their ages and place of birth.