Author Topic: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915  (Read 12886 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering Tayport (Ferry upon Craig )1915
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 17 April 14 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly

That is OK, you like challenges  ;)

Dunbog Graveyard is maintained by Fife Council Bereavement Services, but interments no longer take place there. Records of burials are likely to be sketchy, if available at all

www.fife.gov.uk/atoz/index.cfm?fuseaction=facility.display&facid=D08B238F-0683-4619-85C2476EC9D50F6B

The tel number quoted there, not sure it is for the cemetery or for the Fife Council Bereavement Services?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 17 April 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
on Thomas"s death certificate it states he died in Dunbog,the other name i cant make out,looks like Colleirrie,but i cant find that name,thought it could have been Collessie but not sure.

possibly Collairnie (Dunbog parish)
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 17 April 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you scotmum  :)

Shelly, lots of photos here of Collairnie here http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=48289275

Lots of farming land there.

Monica

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 18 April 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that link...brilliant..i think these cottages could be 100years old +maybe this is where my Thomas died...
My husband and i going to take a trip there to see what we can see..(let you know}.Cheers Monica very much appreciated.. :)HAPPY EASTER....

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 18 April 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Happy Easter, Shelly  :)

Monica

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 29 June 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
              just to let you know that we visited the Dunbog cemetery nothing there,lovely little place though,also got a message from the Fife Council asking for the name and date my uncle died and they would look it up,that was 4weeks ago ,no answer yet.
I am wondering if you can help me again? i found my my grandads name in the 1920 valuation roll his name was not 100% correct but the place seems to be what he was used to,i emailed the Perth & Kinross archives for more info., who was in the house with him at that time,they can not give me any info., although Dundee and Renfrew councils did give me info on the same thing?i have a ref,number is there anywhere i can look this up myself on the internet?
Sorry Monica ,truly grateful for your help. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 30 June 14 00:55 BST (UK) »
Good to see you are working through still. Knew you would  ;)

For this period that you are in, things get trickier to find online. Not sure what additional details you have been provided with by Dundee and Renfrew councils (but great that you have this).

Regarding the 1920 valuation roll, this is a brief description here of what is to be found there www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&2080  Normally only heads of households were included on the valuation rolls.

Maybe what you need to check is the electoral rolls. Like the valuation roll, these can only be searched by address, not name. Given what they are, they only apply for people who were eligible to vote.

None of these type of records are equivalent to a census unfortunately  :-\ Also, as important, they can't be searched/viewed online and would have to be searched at a main research library in the area.

Monica  :)

PS: Maybe follow up with Fife Council for a response. Likely a prompt may help  ::)