Author Topic: A mystery word on a baptism record - maybe Latin?  (Read 929 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A mystery word on a baptism record - maybe Latin?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 September 14 01:08 BST (UK) »
I with KGarrad, I think it's Tralee.
Particularly as its under the date of birth and the child wasn't born in the place of baptism.

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 September 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
The lower part of the first letter is a heavy downstroke of the pen, which it would not be if it were an E. I think it is Tralee.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 September 14 09:16 BST (UK) »
The lower part of the first letter is a heavy downstroke of the pen, which it would not be if it were an E. I think it is Tralee.

Actually, when I write my captalised E, (the inverted 3) my heavy downstroke is on the lower part of that letter, and I have seen many other similar E with the heavy downstroke on that lower part of that letter.   :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lucykin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:40 BST (UK) »
Do any other entries on the page have a similar notation under the baptism date?
Philip
No, it's the only entry like this.
Like JM, I read it as Ezalee. I wondered if Ezalee might have been a shortened form of Elizabeth Letitia (Letitia also being in the name). But I've never heard of that and, so far as I'm aware, her name wasn't shortened.

I take Sinann's point about the word being under the date of birth to indicate a place different from the baptism place.

There is a sister who was also baptised by the same clergyman (their father) and that sister has the name Denny in her name. Interestingly, I see that Tralee was the home of the Denny family, so maybe the two sisters had a family connection with Tralee. I'm beginning to think Tralee may indeed be the answer.

The nagging doubt in my mind is whether the mystery word really does start with a T!

Thank you, everyone, for your help.  :)