Author Topic: Sarah MILLNOT-RICE - nee BARKER and Arthur Percy BARKER and/or RICE  (Read 2997 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah MILLNOT-RICE - nee BARKER and Arthur Percy BARKER and/or RICE
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 January 13 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Family Search has an 1871 census transcript of Sarah Millnotte living as a boarder in the household of a William H Fitch, 106 Fairfoot Place, Bromley ST Leonard.

Ancestry has this transcribed as Sarah Willmotte - but to me it clearly is Millnotte!
RG10, 571, 125, 27

Sarah Millnotte, boarder, married, age 30, born Spittlefields, Middlesex and Arthur Millnotte, 5mths, born Stratford!

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 January 13 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Jo ;D  William's wife Susan was Sarah's sister.  So you finally found her - many thanks!!.  Now with the child Alfred Herbert.  I'd already come across a marriage for AF BARKER or MILLNOF here in Tasmania, but although I was pretty sure he was related didn't really have the thread.  But after your work today, I found his birth registered in Dec 1870 in West Ham under the name of BARKER.  So although I still couldn't find anything in relation to a MILLNOT/MILNOFF/WILLNOT or anything like for Sarah's marriage, I'm starting to wonder if there was a Mr Millnot(t) etc?? 

Regards
Webby
Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline Antique Collector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 April 14 07:08 BST (UK) »
I also have interest in tracing Sarah Millnot's heritage. My family also come from Tasmania and are direct descendents although are now living in Brisbane. Most of what we have, I think you already are aware of but have attached the following for what it's worth. Dates are as best we can conclude.

Sarah Millnot (1846 -1916 )-- believed to be born in UK - we believe Millnot to perhaps be her married name as we have record of her claiming to be a widow when she arrived in Tasmania and married Arthur Percy Rice (1885). She adopted the surname Barker in around 1891-1892. We have no record of her marrying Arthur Robert Barker (died 1944) so have again assumed that this adoption was as a result of a liaison at around this date.

|

|

Her son Alfred Herbert Reynolds Millnot (1870 -1925)- (later using Millnot Barker as his surname)
Our rcords show that he was born in Kent in the UK and accompanied his mother (Sarah) to Tasmainia when he was aproximately 6 yearsof age. He married Helen Margaret Leitch in Zeehan Tasmania 1892. He is buried in Cornelian Bay. Free church of Scotland, section D
Arthur Robert Barker lists Alfred and Helen as kin in his death notice
|

|

Robert Donald Millnot Barker (my grandfather) - Eleanor Rosamund Millnot Barker - Maisie Millnot Barker

Further information that may be of assistance

One avenue I haven't considered until compiling this information is that the inclusion of Reynold's in the name of Sarah's son Alfred, could possibly be a clue to Sarah's original surname.

We believe Sarah was about 30 when she came to Australia in approx 1877.

I hope this may be of some help. My mother and her sister tried to track records in the UK when visiting some 25 years ago but pretty much drew a blank. Of course computerisation has helped in the accessing of records. I would be happy to share any info we have. We have a few addresses of places the family purportedly resided and the like, but nothing concrete. Feel free to respond if interested.

Regards

Antique Collector

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 April 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Antique Collector,

If you read through Valda's (and others) earlier post you will realise that Sarah is the daughter of Isaac and Ann Barker. Up until the 1871 census she is always Sarah Barker born circa 1841. She appears to use the name Milnott when her child Alfred is born (although his birth is registered as Barker so it is unlikely she was married at his birth). As the Milnott is carried forward it may be significant in Sarah's family history although I have been unable to see a connection at this point.

I hope that helps,

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 April 14 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
Great to hear from you....and how strange as well, that I've been back working on these two for the last few days!!!!.  Trying to sort out their strange situation!.

I'm pretty sure that Arthur Percy Rice was the son of my gggg John Rice and his wife Grace Rice nee Thomas. Although from his marriages in England (2) he was under the name of BARKER, William Barker being his mother's second husband.  But their (3) marriage in Hobart he was "Rice". It seems that when William died he left Arthur money (the Will list's him as being Arthur RICE).

At Arthur's death in 1944 the undertakers record gives his birthplace as "London" and that the payee was the widow Ida May Barker.  So again, another anomaly, I'd never seen his name other than Arthur Percy Rice (Barker).  Now 'Robert' pops up :-\  And of course he was born in Hobart not London.

From Sarah's death notice and also some memorium's, I'm trying to find out who daughter Nellie was and where she was born and also the grand daughter Connie.  Are you able to help me there??

I've been looking into Alfred's Millnot/Willmot etc - but it's the Reynolds name addition that is quite interesting - although as yet found no clue with that name.

I have also been wondering whether the Tasmanian Barkers are related to the English Barkers....haven't found that piece of info yet, but still looking. ;D

Cheers

Webby 

Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline Antique Collector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 May 14 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Webby

Thanks for your response. I'm Sarah's great great great grandson.
I have to admit i struggle a bit with getting my head around the Barker scenario other than my direct line through to Alfred Herbert, so any information regarding the Rice/Barker connection would be most appreciated.
My mother recalls my grandfather, Robert Donald Millnot Barker, going to Arthur Percy's funeral although he really didn't have anything at all to do with him in life, more out of respect for his late father Alfred Herbert.
We believe that the reference to Nell is most likely referring to Helen Leitch, Alfred's wife who was commonly known as Nell. We are also aware that Alfred and Helen had a child named Eleanor (Nell) who died at 19 years of age but feel in this instance the reference is for Helen. Connie is a bit of a mystery.
More than happy to continue correspondence if there is any thing more we may be able to assist with.

Regards

Antique Collector

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 May 14 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Antique Collector.

Since our last communication, I've found a reference in the Trove newspaper in which Arthur Robert Barker spoke about his father William Robert Barker (again the name 'Robert' has appeared out of the blue).

I wonder whether Arthur Barker/Rice was making up a pretty different history for himself - I haven't been able to check whether or not he was on the "Winward" from London in 187?? - in the newspaper that date is obscured.  The ship sailed back and forth quite often.

I know he married Sarah in London in September 1876 (x2), but in the article he doesn't mention a wife coming out with him.

His death notice of August 1944 has the following - Loving father of Nell, Alfred (dec) and grandfather of Connie & Donald.  I'm still thinking that Sarah & Arthur may have had a daughter as well as Alfred, it certainly seems so from that notice especially.

I will probably have to bite the bullet and get his marriage certificate to Ida May Graves as this will give his parents names.  I think it will be the only way to possibly get a handle on this man.

I also found a listing for 1910 whereby he was Arthur Percy Barker in a dissolution of partnership with a Leila Beatrice Purkiss as Wood, Coal and Produce Merchants.  The new company was named Barker & Co.  So as to when he became Arthur Robert Barker - I have no idea!!.

Mercury Newspaper: 3/4/1941.

PORTRAIT OF PEEL

History Of Arrival In Tasmania
Mention by "Vigilant", in the Day by Day   column of "The Mercury" recently, of two     paintings of Sir Robert and Lady Peel which   hang in the office of the Commissioner of Police (Mr. W. G. Oakes) at Hobart, has evoked some interesting reminiscences from Mr. Arthur Robert Barker, of Moonah.

Mr. Barker arrived in Hobart from London in 1876? in the barque Windward, well known in the England-Australia trade in those days, after a record "long" voyage of 120 days via Cape Horn. The ship was commanded by Capt. Lulham, with whom Mr. Barker struck up a warm friendship. They frequently discussed two paintings, one of the founder of the police force (Sir Robert Peel) and the other of Lady Peel, which adorned the captain's cabin.

They were intended for a member of the Pedder family, and were duly delivered by Capt, Lulham. Mr. Barker is convinced that the paintings are identical with those which are now in the possession of Mr. Oakes.

It is interesting to recall that Mr. Barker's father, the late Mr. William Robert Barker, was a leading haulage and carting contractor many years ago. It was he said Mr. Arthur Barker yesterday, who carted the bells imported from England which now chime in the tower of Holy Trinity Church, Hobart.

Will keep on looking!!.

Regards
Webby
Rice - Portland,Dorset