Author Topic: Richard Albert MARTIN from Tasmania  (Read 4008 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Albert MARTIN from Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 July 14 07:14 BST (UK) »

J M MARTIN...possibly James Macfie MARTIN   d 22 Oct 1930 81st year

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/51671626?

Offline katlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 July 14 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Dundee,

The name John Miller Martin seems to fit this family, but dying at age of 93 means he was born circa 1859, which is about 6 years before James Martin married Mary Miller, who would have been 12 at the time.  May be just a coincidence about the name I think, regards Katlady

Offline katlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 July 14 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Dundee - Debra

Answering your messages one at a time, so please forgive me if not making fitting in.

Not sure where Joseph Fuller Martin fits in, have no record of him either.
Ada Rebecca Mary Martin - agree with you about death notice, she definitely wasnt the only daughter, but also a bit mixed up with the 'second eldest' comment in notice.  According to my records she was the fifth child born.   Will have to recheck my data,   regards Katlady

Offline katlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 July 14 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hello again Dundee - Debra,

I obtained some information from Tasmanian Archives many years ago, and some information from another family members compilation.   Will now have to recheck all information I think as getting confused about what is actual fact and what is not.   After having a recheck on Tasmanian Archives, can only find siblings Rose and Richard Albert's births recorded.  Regards Katlady

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 July 14 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Katlady,

John Miller MARTIN's obit states that his brother Joseph is living in Stone Street, Launceston.  This does match the address of Joseph Samuel Fuller MARTIN on the electoral rolls.  Mary Jane's death notice gives two of her sons as 'JM' and 'JSF'.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38215829

John married Rose Ethel Rebecca MILLER in 1900 (#0740) and Joseph married Alice Maud FARMFIELD (or maybe FAIRFIELD) in 1901 (#0702) but unfortunately the online digitised records only go to 1899 so I can't check the marriages.  Those certs will give the names of the grooms' parents, and their ages.  I do think the '93' age for John is not correct.

I think the 'second eldest' means second eldest daughter and only survivng daughter.

If you can access the church registers for Launceston you would probably find the baptisms of all Mary Jane's children.

Debra  :)

Offline katlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Dundee - Debra,

Having been going through the birth and baptism records for Launceston and have had no luck so far. 
The oldest child was born in Esperance and did find an unnamed female born at correct time in birth indexes in Esperance. Did discover death record of second child in Launceston, but not birth record. Will have to keep searching now, unfortunately have no written data to confirm all the children so need to go back to square one I think.   Katlady

Offline katlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 July 14 07:10 BST (UK) »
Dundee  --

Hello Debra,

Have been able to find some evidence of Richard's older sibling but not the other 3 young brothers mentioned in mother Mary's memorial notice.  Looking into brother,Joseph Samuel Fuller Martin, which I think is meant to be Joseph Samuel Miller Martin. So far unable to find birth record for him or his brother John Miller Martin. If they are noted as 4 youngest sons, and Joseph born circa 1877, Richard born 1878 then would think JM and GE must be younger again.  Still on the hunt, katlady

Offline katlady

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 July 14 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Wivenhoe,

Many thanks for your help, unfortunately I dont think is the JM Martin I am after. In the article it mentions that he was only surviving son, my JM Martin had at least one brother still alive in 1946,
thanks again, katlady