Author Topic: Patrick Doyle  (Read 4563 times)

Offline kerryfran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Doyle
« on: Sunday 05 October 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
I've looked for information about my g,g,g grandfather for many years.  Patrick Doyle was sent from Ireland on 'The Three Bees' in 1813, crime unknown, even though the family legend says that he was sent to NSW for rebelling against the English King.  The documentation in NSW suggests he came from Dublin.  In NSW, he was assigned to James Bull near Liverpool, and upon his release, he married Ann Bull, the second daughter of James.
Would anyone in Ireland know anything about Patrick or The Three Bees and the men who came to their new home in 1813.  I can find no information about their crimes. The Three Bees now lies at the bottom of Sydney Harbour just near the Opera House ... it burnt to death after a candle was knocked over.  It was carrying gunpowder and still had a loaded 'canon' (it confronted the French on the voyage).
Patrick was born about 1795.  He died in Liverpool, NSW in 1862.  His parents' names are not recorded on his death record.  It is likely that he was a tailor in Dublin.
Many thanks.
Kerry

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline kerryfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Doyle
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 October 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Dathai.
Patrick's life as a constable was short lived as his father-in-law, James Bull, was shot by a highwayman about the same time that Patrick became a constable.  James left a farm to his daughter, Ann, so Patrick left the police to manage the farm.
I am hoping to find some indication of the Doyle family in Ireland.  I actually descend from two Doyles ... the other comes from Wicklow.  I have had some success with this family but not the Dublin connection.
Many thanks for your reply and the links you provided.
Kerry

Offline shaunwestie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 December 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am a direct descendant of Patrick Doyle. What I have heard about the crime Patrick committed was that he stole a coat and a vest while working for a tailor in Dublin. The other rumour was that it was a trumped up charge because he was part of the rebellion against the king. Mary Doyle was, I believe, his sister who sent a letter to James Bull (Ann's father) trying to organise Patrick being assigned to him - after arriving in Australia. I have no information relating to his history in Ireland. I don't have any death certificate for him and don't know what happened to his wife, Ann. Do you know anything about this? I believe another Doyle married into this Doyle line later on in Australia. Is that who you are referring to? Have you had any luck finding out about Patrick's Dublin past?

Offline kerryfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 December 15 08:26 GMT (UK) »
That's really interesting as it links up with things that I often heard from my grandfather.  He said that we were related to Michael Dwyer, the Wicklow Chief.  Michael's wife was named Mary Doyle.  Is the Mary Doyle you mention in your response the wife of Michael Dwyer?
I know that Michael Dwyer's farm was close by Cabramatta Creek where the Bulls farm was ... and later Patrick and Ann Doyle had their farm close to that of Michael.  Also, Mary Dwyer and some of her children were godparents to the children of Patrick and Ann Doyle.
This makes it very likely that Mary Doyle Dwyer was the sister of Patrick Doyle.
As for the other Doyle family .... Patrick's grandson, Thomas Doyle (son of Patrick's son, Richard), married Catherine Doyle from Woolloomooloo.  She was the granddaughter of James and Margaret Doyle who arrived in NSW from Wicklow.  Thomas and Catherine are my great grandparents.
As for the death of Ann Bull Doyle, I have tried a few possibilities.  It is possible that she died the same year as her daughter, Mary Ann Anlezark (1852)  I saw a note at Liverpool Pioneers Park that Ann Doyle is buried with her father, James Bull.
Would you mind telling me how you descend from Patrick Doyle.
Good wishes.
Kerry

Offline shaunwestie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 December 15 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry
Thomas and Kate are my great great grandparents. It goes Shaun (me), Kenneth Joseph Doyle (my dad), Ronald Joseph Victor Doyle (my granddad), Joseph A Doyle (great granddad), Thomas Doyle. Where exactly do you fit in?

I did as much of our family tree as I could about 20 years ago. Having a quick flick through the internet tonight I saw your post. After digging up my old file I see what I told you wasn't exactly right - I don't know that Mary Dwyer (nee Doyle) was Patricks sister - I only heard that they were related in some way, and Michael Dwyer arranged to have Patrick assigned to the James Bull (their neighbour)before he arrived on the 3 Bees. I guess Mary would be too old to be Patricks sister if he was born around 1795 and she was born around 1775? I had heard somewhere that Patrick Doyle's mother was possibly a "Ryan". Does this fit in with anything you've heard. There's definitely a connection back in Ireland though isn't there.

Nice to be in touch with you.
Regards,
Shaun

Offline kerryfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 December 15 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
We are quite closely related.  Your great-grandfather, Joseph, and my grandfather, Richard Gregory (Dick), were brothers.  So my father, Francis Winter (Frank) and Ronald J V were cousins.  I am second cousin of your father ... so your second cousin, once removed.
I have got stacks of information about both sets of Doyles ... we both descend from the Doyles of Liverpool and the Doyles of Woolloomooloo.  As I said, Thomas (Liverpool) and Catherine (Woolloomooloo) were my great-grandparents.
I am really happy to share it all with you but we'll have to work out a way for me to get it to you.
Cheers,
Kerry

Offline shaunwestie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 December 15 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry
I would love to be able to read the family information that you have. Do you have it in paper form only? I am living in New Zealand but I would be happy to pay for photo copying and postage to be able to send it to me??  Family history is certainly fascinating - would love to know the exact connection between Mary Dwyer and Patrick Doyle, it would give a starting point for further investigations in Ireland wouldn't it. Shame about the fire burning so many of their records over there.

Look forward to keeping in touch cousin!
Shaun

Offline kerryfran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 December 15 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shaun, 
I can send the information via email. Also, it's good that you are in NZ. We have cousins there and I have hit a brick wall with them. Denis Doyle went to Grey's River in the mid 1800s. He was Kate Doyle's uncle. He did very well and eventually became a public figure. He died in 1912 in Arthur Street,  Blenheim.  He had two daughters whose married names were Scott and Taylor.  Their husbands were Valentine Scott and Joseph Taylor. Val Scott was a sportsman and a journalist. He is the only civilian buried in a war cemetery over there.  I'll send you more info soon (eg their children's names) and you might be able to trace them .
Talk soon
Kerry