Author Topic: Lynn Surname, Ballymoney, Loughguile Parish  (Read 3812 times)

Offline aallord

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lynn Surname, Ballymoney, Loughguile Parish
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have traced my ancestry back to Ballymoney in the Loughguile Parish from a letter dated in 1926 from Patrick Lynn who was living on the family farm at this time with his brother. The letter was to my Great Grandmother (Anna Lynn) in the US, Wisconsin, Langlade, Deerbrook area.

They immigrated from Ireland to the US. Story goes the entire family other than Anna Lynn moved back to Ireland at some point leaving me only very limited information on this family. Anna was married to William Bentley where she passed away after being in Deerbrook Wisconsin for somewhere around 38+ years in 1927.

I am looking for anyone who might have some additional information on this family to share which would give me a place to start.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lynn Surname, Ballymoney, Loughguile Parish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 22:50 BST (UK) »
Might help if you gave us an idea of names, dates, etc.

Have you checked the 1901 and 1911 census yet?

Could this be them?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Castlequarter/Lavin_Lr_/944152/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Castlequarter/Lavin__Lower/127762/

Lynn Ellen of Lavin Loughguile county Antrim widow died 9 November 1921 Probate Belfast 26 January to William Christie school teacher. Effects £216 5s.

Lynn Robert of Lavin Lower county Antrim farmer died 4 January 1940 at Crosstagherty county Antrim Administration Belfast 31 January to Elizabeth Lynn the widow. Effects £476 15s.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 22:58 BST (UK) »
1930 Patrick Lynn in Lavin Lower-
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Belfast/issue/492/page/1445/data.pdf

Have you looked at Valuation Revision books on PRONI's site yet?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
See that you've already been given this information on another forum so not sure exactly what you are asking for now.
http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.lynn/1343/mb.ashx

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 August 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
I started on a different tack and thought I had the right family until I went back and found Aghadoweys note giving the previous ancestry query. Why do people seeking help withhold information. You should apologise aallord to us all. As usual elwynsoutter1’s  census are spot on, mentioning Nellie, the two Ellen’s and Patrick, all the named in the 1901 as born in America, Ellen in 1911 has changed herself reverting to that she was born in Co Antrim.

In 1861, if you look up www.askabout ireland and then look up Griffiths valuation you can see a Daniel Lynn’s homestead in Carnagall townland in Loughguile civil parish . it’s a labourers cottage plus land of 11 acres, the boundaries on a map are lookable up, find the townland on the map and it is property map ref No 13.  It’s the only homestead in the parish which comes under Ballymoney not the parish but the union of Ballymoney, which also includes the spelling of Linn, one Adam living in Castle st Ballymoney the other Stewart in Drumreagh townland.  Going back to Lynns in the union, the list is
LYNN    DANIEL    ANTRIM    KILLAGAN
LYNN    DANIEL    ANTRIM    LOUGHGUILE
LYNN    DENIS    ANTRIM    DERRYKEIGHAN
LYNN    ROBERT JOHN    ANTRIM    BALLYMONEY
LYNN    ARCHIBALD    ANTRIM    BALLYMONEY
LYNN   JOHN    ANTRIM    BALLYMONEY
LYNN    JOHN    ANTRIM    BALLYMONEY
YOUNG    ROBERT    ANTRIM    BALLYMONEY tenant to John Lynn
CHARLEY    JOSEPH    ANTRIM BALLYMONEY tenant to John Lynn

The next set of public records is the census where I find Carnagall townland [in the civil parish of Loughguile] coming under the district of Corkey. I got confirmation of Corkey being right for Carnagall at http://www.from-ireland.net/antrim-townlands-ballymoney-1855/ However the same website shows Castlequarter  townland, Loughguile parish, Castlequarter Registrars Castlequarter Union, Dunluce Upper BUT Griffiths doesn’t recognize Castlequarter as a union.
So I finally reach the question who was Ellen’s Lynn husband, could it be one of the above Linn or Lynn, so was he a Archibald, Daniel, Denis, John, Joseph Robert,   Did you see a copy of Patrick's american birth certificate, or indeed any of the other siblings.

Turning to church records because I found the Carnagall Lynn were catholic I had found out that PRONI Belfast has church records that survive ie
C.I. Loughguile (Connor diocese)
[Earliest registers destroyed in Dublin]
Baptisms, 1802-14 and 1876-1910; marriages, 1846-
1935; burials, 1879-1999; vestry minutes, 1801-1930;
preachers’ books, 1843-1992.
Register of vestrymen, 1892-.
MIC1/335
In local custody
P. Ballyweany
Baptisms, 1862-1967; marriages, 1845-1900;
communion roll, 1862-1939. MIC1P/82
R.C. Loughguile (Down and Connor diocese) Baptisms, 1845-81; marriages, 1845-69. MIC1D/69A
I suggest you visit PRONI or employ someone to look for you.

Another way is to find the ship that they returned on, I had no success on eg
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records-in-travel-and-migration
So thats me out and away with faeries, JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide