Author Topic: Frederick John EDWORTHY 1855  (Read 3522 times)

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Frederick John EDWORTHY 1855
« on: Monday 04 March 13 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for the birth of my great great great grandfather, Frederick John Edworthy. From census records, I know he was born around 1855 in Newton Abbot (NOT CHAWLEIGH AS THERE IS ANOTHER MAN OF THIS NAME BORN THERE!).  :)

He married Mary Ann Stabback of Topsham (where they later lived) and I know their children :)

I'd appreciate if anyone would help me find this birth record, as I want to trace my ancestry further back.

Thanks,

Ryan :)
Researching: LEICESTER/NUNEATON: Mortimer   DONEGAL: McGarvey, Doogan     GLASGOW: Ramsay     DEVON: Edworthy

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick John Edworthy 1855
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not all births were registered; regulations were tightened up c1875.

A copy of his marriage certificate should show the name and occupation of his father.  Using those details you can search the census records for him and, possibly, find a parish to search for a baptism record.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 13 21:09 GMT (UK) »

On the 1917 notification of his son's death he is given as Frederick John Turner Edworthy.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered the possibility that his mother was unwed but later married Mr Edworthy? As the middle name Turner suggests his mother's maiden name checking freeBMD shows a Frederick John Turner was registered in the Exeter civil registration district in 1857
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies :)

Is it possibly a family tradition to take the maiden name of your grandmother? i.e. if Pete Smith and Mary Jones's grandson was John, he'd be John Jones Smith...

because...

Frederick John Turner Edworthy and Mary Jenkins had a son, Frederick William Stabback Edworthy and Stabback was this Fred William's grandmother's maiden name. So maybe Turner was the maiden name of Frederick John Turner Edworthy's gran and Frederick John Edworthy's mother? Hope that makes sense with so many Frederick Johns.

To make it a bit simpler, here is the suspected tree:

Mr Edworthy and Mrs née Turner had... (THESE TWO ARE MY GUESS)
Frederick John Edworthy married Mary Ann Stabback.... had...
Frederick John Turner Edworthy married Mary née Jenkins... had...
Frederick William Stabback Edworthy

Also, I've found a marriage for Frederick John Turner Edworthy and Mary Ann Stabback, but still no record that reveals his parents!   :(
http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=51186492&d=bmd_1361186159
http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=51115868&d=bmd_1361186159&scan=1

Ryan  :)

PS Again sorry if this is impossible to understand, couldn't think of a way to make it simpler other than attaching a pic of my tree.  :-[
Researching: LEICESTER/NUNEATON: Mortimer   DONEGAL: McGarvey, Doogan     GLASGOW: Ramsay     DEVON: Edworthy

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 19:42 GMT (UK) »
However, as NannyJan has already suggested, if you obtain a copy of Frederick John EDWORTHY's marriage to Mary Ann STABBACK, it should give his father's name & occupation (if known) plus abode at time of marriage and witnesses' names which are often valuable clues.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 22:29 GMT (UK) »
In 1881 and 1891 he gives his place of birth as Newton, Devon -- but in 1901 and 1911 he gives it as Worlington?

But note that those censuses say Newton, not Newton Abbot.

In the later censuses he is also older -- dob c1853.

That would seem to match up with this Fred in 1861 in Newton St Cyres, Crediton reg dist:

John Edworthy, 33, farm labourer
Sarah, 28
> Fredrick, 9
John, 6
Charles, 4
Eliza, 1

all born Worlington.

But you do absolutely need his marriage certificate to verify his father's name.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 March 13 22:47 GMT (UK) »
John Edworthy and Sarah Bradford married in Crediton reg dist in Sep quarter 1851.

In 1841, Sarah is with her parents William and Mary in West Worlington, but I'm not spotting John. I considered John "Seworthy" (per Anc'y, hard to read), but he is 10 years too old.

In 1851, John, born in West Worlington c1828, is a servant in West Worlington, and Sarah is with her parents in East Worlington.

John Edworthy was baptised 1828 West Worlington, parents James and Anne:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N56Z-43X

There are also baptisms of children
James 1825
Jane 1831
Eliza 1835
Sarah 1839

In 1841, James and Ann and children Eliza and Sarah are in Washford Pyne, Devon.
I suspect that John may be in Lapford with his Edworthy grandmother; the two places are about 5 miles apart and East/West Worlington are right close by.

Obviously this is all surmise, but I think that once we realize that "Newton" is not Newton Abbot, this is all the most likely scenario. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick John EDWORTHY 1855
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 May 14 15:50 BST (UK) »
Just found this: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/devon-baptisms?firstname=frederick&firstname_variants=true&lastname=edworthy

Will someone with a subscription please check out the Wolborough baptism and see if it lists parents?

By the way, his 1872 marriage record lists his father as Frederick Edworthy, deceased, a sailor.

Thanks,
Ryan :)