Author Topic: John CAMPBELL, actor and trooper 10th Light Horse  (Read 2259 times)

Offline kaybrodie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John CAMPBELL, actor and trooper 10th Light Horse
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hello. Just thought I would let you know my BF's grandfather was the 'Clyne Campbell' on your list of theatrical associates. Clyne came to NYC with the Graham Moffat Company in 1920. He was in the short lived play 'Don't Tell'- then I see no more online mentions of him. He was on a travel visa but appears to have stayed in New York and married  by 1924! We did know he was an Edwardian actor who may have trained in Edinburgh where he was born in 1895.

Interesting note- his birth name was William Clyne Brodie. He must have thought well of your grandfather John Campbell. Looks like he borrowed the name. The family in US went by Campbell ever since. (Although I was able to trace his Brodie ancestry).

Would love any info you may have mentioning Clyne....Lynn

Offline TropiConsul

• RootsChat Senior
  • gg-grandfather, founder of Comfort, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: John CAMPBELL, actor and trooper 10th Light Horse
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 05:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, kaybrodie.  Regrettably, the only information I have on Clyne Campbell is his appearance on the cast listing for "Don't Tell".  I read an interview of John Campbell in one of the Australian newspapers where he states that he acquired his musical education at the Glasgow Athenaeum which is now called the Royal Scottish Conservatory.  I believe the Athenaeum also provided business courses.   
Campbell, McDonald, Sprague, Dunsmore, Altgelt, Paterson, Gordon, Rennie, Gorrie, Myles, Forbes, Stewart, Robertson,  Scott, McEwan, MacCallum, McLagan, Perth, Dull, Lanark, Airdrie, Campbeltown, Saddell, Kessington, Cochno, Milngavie, Rutherglen, Kilsyth, Dundee, Killin, Ferryport-on-Craig, Kirkintilloch, Ohio, New York, Inverness-shire, Blair Atholl, Mathie