Author Topic: Dating please  (Read 1591 times)

Offline uncleagent61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating please
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
This photo, taken by Barrett of Lowestoft, was among my mother-in-law's photos. Her grandmother was Helen Perrin nee Mullender, born 27 August 1845 and baptised 10 January 1847 in Pakefield, Suffolk. Her parents were John Mullender and Sarah Alden, and according to the 1851 census she had an older sister Elizabeth, who was 15 in 1851. I wondered if this photo could be Helen and Elizabeth with their mother - it's hard to tell the women's ages, so equally it might be three sisters. But maybe the costumes are datable, and especially the velvet jackets that two of them are wearing. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.
Linda

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
What lovely image...it's always a good idea to post the back if you have it including the corners as it helps with dating.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:53 BST (UK) »
Agree with carol it is a lovely photo.
Taken mid-late 1860's.
PS. the jackets are called Dolmans.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline uncleagent61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 October 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant - very many thanks. I had no idea the jackets were called dolmans - they're certainly very distinctive. If it is Sarah Mullender and her daughters, their ages in the mid 1860s would have been Sarah 50, Elizabeth 30 and Helen 20 - certainly possible.

Offline uncleagent61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 October 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
We have another mystery photo which we think might be Helen Mullender and her husband John Perrin, with 2 of their children. One of the children has an amazing bonnet; not sure if it's a boy or a girl! Any suggestions as to date gratefully received! The image is rather dark I'm afraid - if I lighten it too much it becomes larger than the permitted attachment!

Offline uncleagent61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 October 14 23:27 BST (UK) »
Here's the back of the photo. The only way I could make it small enough to attach was to crop it into 2 halves! One day I'll learn how to compress photos.

Offline uncleagent61

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 October 14 23:28 BST (UK) »
And the other half.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 October 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda, I don't think any of those ladies are any where near 50. Could be wrong but to my eyes not. Second back I will take a stab at 1890's.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 October 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
I agree with George...more likely to be the next generation.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU