Author Topic: O'Hanlon of Belfast - help needed  (Read 10973 times)

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
O'Hanlon of Belfast - help needed
« on: Sunday 31 October 04 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I am in need of help with the following family as my research has come to a complete standstill. I have been trying to trace the O'Hanlon family of Belfast, but have reached the point where my James O'Hanlon could be any of four candidates in the birth registers.

I have a birth certificate for Patrick O'Hanlon born at 43 St Dock St, Belfast on the 30th June XXXX to James O'Hanlon and Martha Russell.

And a marriage certificate:
Church of St Patrick's, Belfast
14th July 1923 James O'Hanlon aged 20 Bachelor and labourer of Exchange Street son of James O'Hanlon Labourer and Martha Russell aged 17 spinster and spinner of 8 Portland Street daughter of Thomas Russell a labourer.

They may have had the following children:
Tommy O'Hanlon
Bridget O'Hanlon married John McAvoy
Robert O'Hanlon
James O'Hanlon
Kathleen O'Hanlon
Martha O'Hanlon married Franky Corr

I am sorry I do not have any birthdates.

James O'Hanlon senior may have been born around 1903-1904 and I have traced four birth entries all with a father called James! :'( I do not know which one is my James, so if there is anyone out there who can help I will be very very grateful.

Many thanks, Michelle

Moderator Comment: Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Researching family trees since 1985.
My family: Jackson of Southwark -- West of Brentford -- Adcock of Westminster -- Stevens of Westminster -- Wynes of Gloucestershire -- Randell of Hackney -- Hern of Berkshire -- Soanes of Oxfordshire -- Holman of Totnes -- Avery of North Tawton.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: O'Hanlon of Belfast - help needed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You could try and match up with the 1911 census remembering that children were often named after grandparents.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 04 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle. I live in Belfast near the Dock's i know a lot of people there i have a book called the Half Bap & Little Italy.

Two of the Street in your message are in it Exchange Street & Portland Street also in my book there is a photo of a Franky Corr getting married could it be the same man.
The Half Bap & Little Italy is about 500 yards from Sailors Town thats the District were Dock Street is

In my 1949 Street Directory there is a O'Hanlon family living at (43 Dock Street New) not 43 Dock Street they are not the same street.
Sailors Town is where my wife was born 1954 i will see if i can get you some info on them.

Good luck
                                                   Anthony

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 November 04 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Thank you both very much for your reply, it is nice to hear from you.

I tried to get a researcher to look at the 1911 census for me (I'm in England), but she was reluctant to undertake the task without more info so I've left it for the time being.

Anthony, your information is exciting. I do wonder if that is the same Franky Corr!

Any help you can give will be gratefully received. Many thanks!

All the best,
Michelle
My family: Jackson of Southwark -- West of Brentford -- Adcock of Westminster -- Stevens of Westminster -- Wynes of Gloucestershire -- Randell of Hackney -- Hern of Berkshire -- Soanes of Oxfordshire -- Holman of Totnes -- Avery of North Tawton.

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 04 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle if you would like to send me your e-mail address by PM i will e-mail you the photo and if you go to Belfast Families-1901 Census they do a free search of the 1901 Census.
Not to sure about the 1911????

Good luck
                                                               Anthony

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle had a word with some people about Franky Corr they know him he lived at Nelson St thats about 300 yards from Dock St.
My Brother says he knows Franky the next time he runs into him he will ask him about the O'Hanlon's.

Good luck
                                                          Anthony

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 November 04 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear Anthony,
                     Thanks very much for all your efforts with Franky, sounds like it might be him!

Best Wishes, Michelle

Offline Anthony

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 November 04 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle. My brother was talking to Franky Corr he told my brother that his Cousin Franky Corr married Martha O'Hanlon from New Dock St.

He could not get much out of Franky as he was going to work, I'm going to give my brother the photo he will get Franky to give him some info on the photo and the family the next time he is talking to him.

Michelle it's not much but a start anyway it may take a bit of time to do it as my brother dose not see Franky all the time.

Michelle have i, e-mailed the photo to you, when i get anymore infomation i will e-mail you.
Sorry thats all i have for you.
                                                Anthony

Offline UKfamilyrecords

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 November 04 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I am so happy to hear that you have located a relation of the O'Hanlon's!  ;D. I would really love to know if Martha is still alive and if she knows anything of James O'Hanlon and his origins.

Thank you so much.
Michelle