Author Topic: Master Mariners  (Read 21456 times)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 April 12 17:10 BST (UK) »
If the advice given already here is of no use, then I'm afraid I don't think I can help.  Searching for mariners post 1900-1946 is too recent for me to be able to offer any other suggestions as it's not in my experience. 

All I can say is the folk at the Caird library in the Maritime Museum London and those at the Liverpool Maritme Archive couldn't have been more helpful.  You could try giving them a ring, see if they can suggest anything.  Given how recent his death was, you may have to prove your relationship to him, but they may be able to come up with something given the extenuating circumstances. Other than that, you could try posting his name here, see if anyone has come across him in their own research (a longshot, I know). Or any known details of vessels he may have been on. Or have you tried the newspapers to see if his name appears, they may give clues to the ships he was Master of.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Regards
Ann

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 April 12 19:10 BST (UK) »
Have we got a name and his certificate number? Lloyds Captains Register go's up to 1947 so he should be entered there.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline emaline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 April 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
I will do my best as the last certificate is a bit faded.  These were found recently in boxes in the loft by a granddaughter of my grandfathers second family which I will copy.

(1)   BY THE LORDS OF THE COMMITTEE OF PRIVY COUNCIL FOR TRADE.
        Certificate of Competency.
        Master of a Hometrade Passenger Ship.
        HENRY PHILIP PRESSEY.     19TH Jan.  1912

(2)   Certificate of Examination.   104850.
        Issued at the Port of Dover.    16th Jan. 1912.       Top left hand corner. Looks like.  8.152

(3)  CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSIONER.  WELLINGTON GARDENS.  LONDON.  W.1.
        Master in the War Department Fleet Under the War Office.

Signed by   L.C. M. Weekes.  Secretary.     Dated  19/09/1924

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 May 12 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've just started researching my ancestor's career as a Master Mariner and can follow all of the links in the previous posts, but have the issue of being in Australia and not able to visit to have a look at the documents in the UK.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get this info from here (or if it's not possible)?

Details are:

John THOMAS
Born 1810 Cardigan, Wales
Died 1867 St Mary's Islands, Scilly Islands
CC: 47682
Captain of Glen Roy (ship no. 13288) from 1858 to 1867
KEW ref: 124/9&10

I'm not sure if he was on any other ships before this.

Many thanks for any advice you can give as to my next step.

Mel
Jenkins, Pyke, Percy, Peck, Thomas, Davies, Hyne

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 May 12 20:58 BST (UK) »
A little about the ship GLEN ROY
GLEN ROYwas a schooner or brigantine built in 1839 at Hillsborough River, Prince Edward Island, Canada. She was originally registered at Charlottestown, Her registry was transferred to Liverpool in 1841 owned by T.McKay
From 1860  until about 1870, when was sold to Whitehaven owners she was a brigantine, in these years owned by T.Thomas of Cardigan and operating in the Mediterranean trade. Lloyd's Register 1867/68 lists voyage Cardiff/Mediterranean with coal .
GLEN ROY was reported to have sailed from Whitehaven bound for Dublin with coal on the 24th February 1873 and was assumed to have foundered in a severe storm on Tuesday, 25th February1873.
None of the above concerns your question but important detail.
The easiest way to find his certificate detail is to contact NMM Greenwich using this form.
http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/masters-certificates-request-form
If its no go there, post again and we will see what can be done at Kew (btw The correct piece numbers are BT124/9 and BT124/10) but in all honesty your best bet is  Lloyd's Captains Register at London Metropolitan Archives. I would have thought the cost they quoted for a search was reasonable. However my guess is he only captained one vessel but theres only one way to find out.
Also search Lloyd's Lists. These will tell you where GLEN ROY voyaged to and maybe some personal detail on her captain and owner. I think Australian Maritime Museum have copies.
On Crew Agreement has survived in Kew piece BT99/152
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=3174103&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2C13288&accessmethod=0
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 May 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much. I'll try those suggestions  :)
Jenkins, Pyke, Percy, Peck, Thomas, Davies, Hyne

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 May 12 00:52 BST (UK) »
I have found a John Thomas born Cardigan 1810 as Master of the Cardigan registered vessel FRIENDS, Official number 1720 in 1863.
His certificate number is 47684. Maybe a typo, suggest you check it out.
Details are in Pembrokeshire Archives. File reference T/RS/1863

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline caring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 June 12 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if anybody could offer some guidance . My ancestor Henry Crosbie and his sons Richard and Samuel are listed on the Liverpool 1881 census as river boatmen , barge. I have tried to find them in the Maritime Museum with no luck. I thought that somebody knowledgeable on mariners might be able to advise.

Many thanks

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 July 12 14:40 BST (UK) »
Having read this thread, I would like a little assistance please with a 2 x great grandfather

From the Captains Registers of Lloyd’s of London I have found

COWARD, William b. Workington 1819 S37521
vol.3 1855-1860, 1862-1873; vol.1874-1879; vol.30 1880-1883

He died in Cardiff in 1892

If I have understood the guidance previously offered, the next stage is to look at the records at the LMA as this will give vessels, etc. Is this correct?

How do I get hold of a copy of his certificate? The link for the NMM at Grreenwich appears to be for a request to view a certificate.

Why are some registration numbers prefixed with C & some with S?

Finally, is there an equivalent list for Master Mariners in the late 1700's?

tks

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk