Author Topic: Fitzsimons Cavan/USA  (Read 3024 times)

Offline FitzsimonsCavan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitzsimons Cavan/USA
« on: Friday 22 November 13 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace marriage for Bernard Fitzsimons- Mary Smith approx 1888, story in family is Bernard worked in USA Brooklyn bridge, unusually he returned Ireland. Mary was from Pullamore
cannot trace any marriage in Eire or USA, his sister Mary married Michael Brady in New york 1888 they lived in Yonkers. Any ideas where to find Catholic marriages in New York?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzsimons Cavan/USA
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 November 13 20:18 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage for a Michael Brady & Mary Buckley 29 Jan.1888 in Manhattan but I can't see Michael Brady & Mary Smith/Fitzsimons in any of the boroughs.
http://www.italiangen.org/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline FitzsimonsCavan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 November 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking I was advised by  Cavan Library that Bernard probably married in USA, they have checked all Ireland records,Mary Smith was from Pullamore which is is very close to Killygarry which is the townland that Bernard rented on his return from USA. I suspect they may have married at St Brigids Killygary which would have been her parish. They had 7 children 5 of which went into the religious life,Mary F should have married in Crosskeys chapel. can't see Mary Smith travelling to USA to return to Cavan. Looks like Catholic records in USA are similar to Ireland. I have found Bernard's fathers birth in Annegeliffe 1826.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 November 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
If the marriage took place in Ireland in 1880s (well, from 1864 onwards really) it should be in the civil registration index- this is possibly what Cavan Library checked for you.
People did travel between Ireland and U.S. and then back to Ireland so don't rule out the idea just yet. Sometimes it was homesickness, illness, family situation in Ireland or employment problems that were the reason for the return.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 December 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
New York State required civil registration of marriages beginning in 1881, so you may not need to look into church records if they married in New York.

Do you know when Bernard was born?  Any further record of him being in Ireland?  If you can narrow down when he/they might have travelled to the US and returned to Ireland, it may help.

Offline FitzsimonsCavan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Story is he left Ireland 1870's  to work in USA returned either 1887 or 1888, while he was away his name was removed as the next tenant farmer for his fathers farm, his brother took over the tenancy for the home farm which was in Gallon Glebe Cavan.  His sister Mary arrived in New York 1887 married in 1888, originally thought both Mary Fitzsimons & Mary Smith travelled to USA together but cannot find any record on Ellis site, I have contacted Cavan Library they have checked all marriagesbut no trace. I have no idea where to apply for recordsin USA Mary & Michael Brady lived in Yonkers had  1 son in 1889 John Charles suspect he died in infancy,had twin girls Mary & Kate 1892 James 1896 & Charles 1901.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Ellis Island opened in 1892, so anything prior to that would not be on there.  Before 1892, people sailing into New York went to Castle Garden.  http://www.castlegarden.org/

Where you apply for records in the US depends on where the event occurred.  New York City keeps its records separately from New York state, for example.  Yonkers also kept their records separately for a period of time.