Author Topic: Family Information  (Read 8428 times)

Offline jeremysmahoney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Information
« on: Thursday 23 December 10 13:55 GMT (UK) »

I am in process of trying to locate information about my great-grandmother who I believe was born in either Cork or Cork City. Her name was Ellen Clark and she married my great-grandfather John "Jack" Mahoney back in the 1800's.

Their son (my grandfather) Jerimiah Patrick Mahoney was born in England. Ellen Clarke was brought to England by her father (my great-great grandfather Michael Clarke ) sometime as a young girl. From what I can tell on limited information, Michael Clarke was born in Skibbereen in County Cork.

The only documentation I currently have is my grandfather's birth certificate showing his parents names and a lineage chart put together by my aunt which shows the Clarke family history, but it is limited.

My father has informed me that there is a distant cousin (Eileen Debney) who we believe lived at one time in Cork. I have no idea as to whether or not she is still alive.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Information
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 December 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat  :)

Now the '1800's' covers a lot of years - do you have an approximate date?

As Ellen was already in England, did the marriage take place here? There is a possible marriage in 1901 on Free BMD.
There is also a possible birth for a Jeremiah Mahoney in Hartlepool, 1912 with a mother named Clarke.

You can see the difficulties.

The marriage would give clues re Ellen's age and then perhaps help with the birth information.

Please post as much detail as you can re years and ages - it will help.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeremysmahoney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 December 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Heywood,

Thanks for your reply.

My grandfather (Jerimiah Patrick Mahoney) was born in 1905 in England.  Ellen Clarke married my great-grandfather John "Jack" Mahoney in England. My father said his grandmother (Ellen) died sometime back in the early 1950's.

I will provide all of the info from the family chart once I have it available. I am currently away for the holidays in Boston, Massachusetts and my residence is in Florida.

I do know that my great-great-grandfather (Michael Clarke) fled Ireland with his daughter and family due to some political reasons (although I don't know what they were).

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 December 10 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

you may be able to find your family in 1911 census http://www.1911census.co.uk/
which would give you ages for John and Ellen adn John's occupation.

The free index http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ would give you reference numbers for the marriage and birth.
It may well be the 1901 marriage. If it is them, they married in June quarter 1901 so you would imagine that they would be in 1901 census. I can't see any definites for them though.

Have a lovely Christmas and then post your information.

regards
heywood

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 December 10 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Did you have a look at www.irishgenealogy.ie  There is a baptism at St Peter & Pauls church ( which is in Cork City ) for an Ellen Clarke on 15 Nov 1879 her parents are Michael Clarke and Ellen Horgan.   Does this date tie in with your Ellen?

The surname of your cousin Debney is very unusual and might be  a good lead in your search provided it is the correct spelling.   There isn't any listing in the phone book in County Cork for that surname or with the spelling of
Dibney. 

We will wait for the extra info after Christmas and see what we might be able to come up with.

Enjoy the hols

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 December 10 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

that seems really good. I had a look at the indexes for 1911- we aren't allowed to post info from it - and besides that I haven't got full access  ::)  From what I have interpreted though, the age is about right.
However, all names- Michael/Ellen and Clarke are quite common so we mustn't be too optimistic just yet.

heywood

Offline jeremysmahoney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 December 10 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Mary & Heywood,

Thanks for this information. I believe this may be my great-grandmother. I won't know until I return to Florida on January 3rd and pull my the family lineage chart my aunt had started years ago. My great-grandmother passed away in 1952 ( I found this out from my father today) in England. My dad was 14 or 15 at the time....

I am hopeful that the information you have found may lead to additional records of my great-grandmother.

Offline jeremysmahoney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 January 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I was able to obtain my great-grandmother's certificate of baptism from the Church of S.S.  Peter & Paul in Cork, so I now know for sure that my great-grandmother was indeed at least baptized in Cork.

Now I am trying to locate my great-great grandparents marriage certificate.
I know they were married in 1876 in Cork City, Ireland.

Michael Patrick Clarke
Ellen (Hogan) Clarke

Offline HugoBeauchamp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 January 11 08:08 GMT (UK) »
If you go to the Irish Civil Registration Indexes on Family Search Pilot (NB Not the Beta/New Site) at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=allCollections&r=1 and select Ireland you will find the reference information you will need to order the marriage certificate from the GRO at Roscommon.

NB The middle name Patrick was not indexed, but Michael Clarke & Ellen Hogan share the same reference details.

H
Drogheda, Co Louth - Magee/McGee
Dublin City - Brady, Magee/McGee, McNally, Sheridan, Taylor
Mitchelstown, Co Cork - Hyland, Martin, Russell
Ballyporeen, Co Tipperary - Russell