Author Topic: FISHER family in Cirencester/Cheltenham/Prestbury/Bishop's Cleeve  (Read 6875 times)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: FISHER family in Cirencester/Cheltenham/Prestbury/Bishop's Cleeve
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 May 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have now checked the GlosBMD Indexes and found the following births for the children of Thomas HULBERT & Hester FISHER:-
Henry HULBERT b.1846, Cheltenham (Please note that the ONLY GRO birth entry I could find is Harriette HULBERT, 1846 Cheltenham 11 209 Dec Qtr. A complete mystery to me!.
William HULBERT, b.1848 Cheltenham 11 213 Jun Qtr.
Mary Ursula HULBERT, b.1849 Cheltenham 11 203 Sep Qtr
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Fishing4Fishers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 June 14 00:03 BST (UK) »
 :)  Oh my!  I am overwhelmed by all the wonderful help I've received!   I wish I could send you each an individual thanks, but since I'm new to RootsChat, I don't know if there's a way to do that. 

To Galium:  Yes, I do subscribe to Ancestry, so I found Esther Boyd's will that you mentioned -- what an exciting find!  Thanks also for the tip about the Esther Hayward and Robert Boyd marriage, and the marriage at Ampney Crucis of William Fisher and Ann Hayward.   I am 99.9% positive these are "my" Fishers. 

To trish1120:  I have often wondered if William Fisher's wife Mary's maiden name could have been Boyd, but so far I've found no proof; it remains just a possibility.

To Victor:  You are SO kind!  Thank you for all the wonderful information regarding the baptisms for William and Mary Fisher's children, the marriage for Joseph Fisher and Sarah Woolley, the baptismal records for the children of Joseph and Sarah, and the information on the children of Thomas and Esther Hulbert.  Yes, if you have time, please do check the Glos Archives for George Fisher's baptism (b. ca. 1838). 

You are all amazing, and I can't thank you enough!    :-*  I live in Iowa in the USA, so it is very difficult to make headway with English research from this side of the pond.  I hope within the next year or so to travel to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City to do further research there.  And of course I'd love to visit England sometime!  Robert Boyd Fisher was my children's great-great-grandfather, and thanks to all of you, my research has advanced more in the last 24 hours than it has in the last decade.  If there is any way I can ever reciprocate, please let me know. 

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 June 14 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I missed out some text in my message of 13 May 14 16:30 BST, and have now added the missing text - the marriage of Hannah Jane FISHER.
I have pre-ordered the PRs for both marriages and will provide a full transcription next week.
I will also check the baptism of George FISHER circa 1838.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Source: Glos Archives (GA) - P254 IN 1/11, St Mary, Prestbury, Marriages:-

3rd July 1846
Thomas HULBERT, 23, Bachelor, Carpenter of Prestbury, f. Samuel HULBERT, Carpenter
Hester Boyd FISHER, 20 Spinster of Prestbury, f. William FISHER, Carpenter
Witnesses: Sarah FISHER & George B?????

8th September 1855
William Henry RANDALL, 22, Bachelor, Schoolmaster of Prestbury, f. Henry RANDALL, Furniture Broker
Hannah Jane FISHER, 22, Spinster, School Teacher of Cheltenham, f. William FISHER, Yeoman (Freeholder)
Witnesses: Edward & Mary THOMAS

Victor

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I found NO trace of a baptism for George FISHER circa 1838 at St Mary, Cheltenham.
I also checked the St John the Baptist, Cirencester, 1787-1795, and found NO trace of a baptism for William FISHER.
I did find the following FISHER baptisms though:-
Source: Glos Archives (GA) - PFC 86 IN 1/3 1, St John the Baptist, Cirencester, Baptisms:-
11/07/1791, George, fil, William & Ann FISHER, born 26th June 1791
01/01/1793, Robert, fil, William & Ann FISHER, born 20th December 1792
29/03/1793, Thomas, fil, Thomas & Mary FISHER, born 27th September 1792
Victor

Offline Fishing4Fishers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 03:15 BST (UK) »
Victor, thank you so much for all the information you've been finding for me!  You have gone above and beyond the call of duty!   ;)

With the help I've received at RootsChat, I've been able to take my FISHER ancestors back two generations and added another surname to research:  HAYWARD.

After reading Esther Boyd's will, where she mentions nephews William (wife Mary), Robert (wife Susan), Joseph (wife Sarah), and James (wife Margaret) and her brother David HAYWARD, I decided to see if I could find anything on David, and I found a document where William FISHER of Stanhope Street, Cheltenham, carpenter, requests letters of administration for the estate of David HAYWARD, who died a bachelor in Ampney Crucis on March 10, 1840, and states "That he is the natural and lawful Nephew, the son of a Sister of the deceased," and further states that the deceased "left no Parent or Parents, Brother or Sister, Brothers or Sisters."  Therefore, William Fisher's mother was a HAYWARD and a sister to David and Esther.   There is a record for an Ann HAYWARD marring a William FISHER

Offline Fishing4Fishers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 04:08 BST (UK) »
 :P  I hit the wrong key and my reply posted before I was done!

There is a record for an Ann HAYWARD marrying a William FISHER on 15 July 1778 in Ampney Crucis.  I think it is a virtual certainty that these are the parents of the William FISHER born ca. 1790 in Cirencester, wife Mary ______?.  (By the way, according to census records, Mary was born in Cheltenham ca. 1803-1804.)  There is also a record for a Thomas HAYWARD marrying a Sarah FISHER on 17 December 1775 in South Cerney.  So Ann and Thomas may be brother and sister, and William and Sarah may also be brother and sister.  I also found a record for an Ann HAIWARD being christened on 22 March 1759 in Ampney Crucis, father's name Thomas HAIWARD and mother's name Sarah ______?  The dates would seem to match up with this being the same Ann who married William FISHER in 1778.

I am mystified as to who left an inheritance of $40,000 in 1897 to Robert Boyd Fisher and his son W. J. (William) Fisher.  Here's the full text of the newspaper article in the Logansport Reporter (Logansport, Indiana), on Tuesday, August 3, 1897:

"W. J. Fisher, a Wabash engineer, received a letter Saturday from an attorney at Kansas City notifying him that he had fallen heir to an estate of $40,000.  The letter was written July 23d and sent to Andrews where it remained until Saturday when it was forwarded to Peru.  The inheritance is not a surprise to Mr. Fisher, as he has long been expecting it.  The wealth is the accumulation of his great aunt and uncle who at their death left the property to their only son, a cousin of Robert Boyd Fisher, father of W. J. Fisher.  By the death of the recent owner of the estate the property reverts to Robert Boyd Fisher and W. J. Fisher, the only surviving heirs.  Mr. Fisher's father left for Cheltenham, Glouserter [sic], England, three weeks ago and is now there to represent his claim to the estate.  Mr. Fisher left Saturday night for Kansas City to meet the English representative who is there awaiting him."

I wish the article had spent less time identifying the path of the letter and more time identifying the great aunt and uncle who left the estate! 

Robert Boyd Fisher and W. J. Fisher were not the only surviving heirs -- Robert Boyd Fisher had several sons by his various wives.  However, as near as I can determine, Robert Boyd Fisher was the oldest son of William Fisher, and W. J. Fisher was the oldest son of Robert Boyd Fisher, born of his first wife, Mary Durham.  So if the inheritance was to pass from oldest son to oldest son, then they would be the ones in line for the inheritance.  Esther Boyd left an inheritance to her nephews, including William, father of Robert Boyd Fisher, but the sum was less than 800 pounds, distributed among her heirs, and that was in 1833, not 1897.  The inheritance could have come from William Fisher's wife Mary's family, but since her maiden name remains unknown, that makes it impossible to investigate that possibility.  ???  William and his brothers appear to have been engaged in the trades, so it seems unlikely that any of them could have amassed a large estate.  This is why genealogy is so intriguing!

Thank you for checking for a baptism for Robert Boyd Fisher's brother George.  Perhaps they didn't have him baptized?  And thank you for the information on the Fisher baptisms in Cirencester!