Author Topic: Francis Pugh 1st  (Read 1994 times)

Offline rgp

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Pugh 1st
« on: Friday 13 June 14 05:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any records, FROM WALES, connected to Francis Pugh (or Francis ap Hugh), born in Caernarvonshire about 1630 and sailed to Jamestown Virginia USA with his brothers, Thomas and Daniel, in 1665.  Francis and his brothers were sons of a Welsh Squire.  The father was said to be of "Glendower Hall in Carnavon Wales", according to Virginia State Archive records.  I have not been able to locate such a hall or any supporting records from Wales.  I would like to find his family in Wales.  Can anyone help me in my quest for information on my 9th great grandfather.  Thank you, Ron Pugh   Idaho, USA

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Pugh 1st
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 June 14 06:47 BST (UK) »
Have you tried familysearch.org? Could not find a record that matched exactly with what you list as details for you Francis but there could be baptisms of potential siblings that might give you some leads.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Pugh 1st
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 June 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron,

It sounds to me as though you should be able to establish more information on Francis Pugh from the details you have given.

Have you looked at The National Library of Wales site to see if there is anything about this family on there?

http://cat.llgc.org.uk/cgi-bin/gw/chameleon?&skin=full&lng=en

They have Welsh Wills online to view via this site. It seems likely that the father of Francis Pugh would have made a Will if he was a man of substance.

You could approach NLW to see if they have another other material relating to the Pugh family of Caernarfon.

It may help you to know that Glendower is the anglicised version of Glyndwr. Glyndwr is a name familiar to anyone with Welsh connections as Owain Glyndwr is felt by many to have been the last Prince of Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owain_Glynd%C5%B5r

There are links between Owain Glyndwr and Caernarfon Castle.

What were the names of the children of Francis Pugh (or the children of his brothers?) as these may yield some clues to the names of their parents?

Jo.