Author Topic: Poole of Upwell  (Read 5489 times)

Offline clark1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Poole of Upwell
« on: Tuesday 29 April 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
The name 'West' has come down the family since my Gt Grandfather William West Poole. His father William Poole (b 1834 Upwell) wife was called Elizabeth Breeze but I have been unable to identify this marriage (having been looking for 2 Years or more). However I have found a West Poole (b. 1797 Upwell)  who's parents were William Poole and Susannah West, at least 3 of their children were given the name 'West' as a second name, one of these children was called William West Poole b. 1834 Upwell.  Does anybody know how I can prove this is my family without this marriage certificate I've been looking for, I have scanned all the parish records on line that I can find and still no luck.
I am unsure if this question should have gone under Cambridgeshire.
Thanks for any help.
Linda

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poole of Upwell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda

There are these marriages on FreeBMD

Marriages Jun 1856   

BIRD    James     Wisbeach 3b   951 
Breeze    Harriet     Wisbeach 3b   951
DOUGHTY    Jane        Wisbeach 3b   951 
Poole    William        Wisbeach 3b   951

Could this Harriet be your Elizabeth?

yokel

Offline clark1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Yoke
I have seen this marriage, but if I send for the certificate and her name is just Harriet I'm no further forward to confirm she is my Elizabeth.

Thanks again
Linda

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I am dreadfully confused here.

First, the marriage posted by The Yokel is not correct.   The William here married the other female named Jane Doughty and they appear in later census.

I'm confused because I can find only one William bc.1834 after 1851.There were 2 baptisms at Upwell:

William Poole bp.30/7/1834 son of Leonard and Ann

William West Poole bp.28/6/1835, son West and Mary Ann.

The one who married Jane Doughty is shown bc.1834 Upwell and married as plain William.   This is the only William Poole+variants born Upwell ca.1834 that I can find on the census after 1851.   Don't know if the William who married Jane is son of Leonard, or West.

I've found who I'm assuming is your great grandfather:

William West Poole b.20/6/1865, bp.16/7/1865 St. Stephen, Hammersmith, son of William (labourer) and Elizabeth.

I note that he joined the army in 1884 (as Pool) with address in Hammersmith and his next of kin given as mother, Elizabeth Ann Pool, of West Church, Cambridge.

There certainly doesn't seem to be a marriage between William Pool/e and an Elizabeth Breeze so they may well never married.

Have now found the family in 1871 but William is shown as aged 30 i.e. bc.1841 - Elizabeth's age is 29 which ties in with a birth date ca.1842 which shows on a later census.

Where/when did William die?   Do you have the family in 1881 census?

Quite a difference between circa birthdates 1834 and 1841!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clark1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Annette.
I have William death certificate and he died in 1878 and the aged quoted is 40, so that would make his birth 1837/38.

I think I've been doing a bit of wishful thinking that my William is connected to the William West Poole born in 1835, because of the name of 'West' which runs through the family.
I also believe that William and Elizabeth never married, or she was married before but I have been unable to find anything on that either. Having crossed ref loads of matches.

Thank you again
Linda

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 18:00 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether the address for Elizabeth Ann Pool on William jr's army records (which I read as Wisbychurch, Cambridge) was a misrendering of Wisbech?

Also whether William's sister (Ann, 8 in 1871) is the Ann Poole who married William Bradshaw or William Yeats in Fulham, Sep qtr 1884 (other bride Susanna Eliza Webb).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline clark1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you

The Ann Poole you mention married William Yeats and her father was Henry Poole, so this is not William's sister.  Although I have to say I have never found Ann's birth.

Linda

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 18:52 BST (UK) »
Yes I was wondering about Ann's birth too, and hoping that finding a marriage might help find her in a later census which in turn might provide a precise birthplace for her.  I thought that if her birth could be found under a different surname that might lead you to an earlier marriage for Elizabeth.

Does the "Breeze" maiden name come from William's 1865 birth certificate?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline clark1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 May 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
Yes the 'Breeze' name comes from Williams birth certificate, and I've also found most of his brothers and sisters baptism records and the mothers name is 'Elizabeth'.

I've tried looking for Ann's birth under different names but I've never found her anywhere.

Linda