Author Topic: guest  (Read 8776 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: guest
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
who by the way was the 2nd marriage too?in 1942?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 September 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you can't see tree information, or contact owners unless you are signed in. Not even this weekend, when UK records are free (so you can at least look at the 1911 census).
You might be able to view Ancestry at your local library if they have a subscription.

You can see who married Harold Clist in 1942 on FreeBMD.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 September 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
right i have now had it confirmed by the family that doris never married harold charles clist/bird.he only stayed with the family about 5 or 6 years.so she was never mrs clist but she was buried as clist!!!she later married a mr kierle but she kept the name clist for her daughter and sons sake.i didnt know ancestry was free this week end.i will go and have a look now and see what i can find about him.
were all divorces put to the newspapers in the 40s and 50s??theres a few i would like to look up if true

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 September 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
its amazing how the family have started talking.the daughter born to doris audrey guest was registered as a guest in 1933 jan qtr, or maybe born 32 bur registered 1933.however there is now some queries over who the father of her was.as we understand herbert charles clist was only around for a short time!!!!the mind boggles.we will have to buy some certificates.i cant remember if the son was registered as a guest or clist but he was born 1938 and is known now by the clist surname.
that harold charles certainly got around didnt he?

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 September 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
we have now found doris a guests mum.it was beatrice as seen in the 1911 cencus.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 September 14 20:51 BST (UK) »
have looked up all the cencus now and i cant be sure we have the right harold charles clist.if he is the rogue it must be him but there are others born bridgwater that could be,as some of you have been able to look at the trees i think for now i will go on what you have said that he proberly married edith and was later divorced haveing a few affairs on the way!!!thanks for all your help.if you find anymore please let me know.oh by the way dris s mums sister went astray the same year as beatrice did and bore percy.his mothers name was gladys and she too had no father for him!!!

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 September 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
There have always been men like Charles Bird - it looks as though he may have a fair number of descendents!
I hope that you get a chance to look at the Ancestry trees. It might be worth contacting one or other of the owners: maybe they would be able to tell you a bit more about him.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 September 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
yes i may join again for a month.i was a member for 6 years but as i was always doing other folks trees having completed mine i thought why should i keep paying!!!i do mainly romany info and i have an awful lot i can refer to on my websites.thanks for your help anyway

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 September 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
Oh! I wondered whether he was ever caught up with over the bigamy:

Western Gazette July 1943

At Winchester Assizes this week Mr Justice Charles, C.B.E. had before him a father of seven children who was accused of bigamously marrying a nineteen-year old land girl at Portbury, Somerset. Accused, Charles Bird, who pleaded guilty was sentenced to six months imprisonment. It was stated the young woman had asked him to marry her because she thought he would be too shy to ask her. His Lordship said, "I do not think he is a very creditable person, and I think the young woman is a fool."

Portbury is in Weston super Mare registration district. The young woman, who has a distinctive set of initials, was born in 1923.