Author Topic: John Hill and family  (Read 2413 times)

Offline patrickahill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Hill and family
« on: Friday 18 October 13 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm looking for any record of  my family  named Hill.
who arrived in South Africa in 1898 from England having  departed London 16th Dec 1897.
The father was John Hill and his partner Matilla (or Matilda) Townsend.
It is believed he ran away from England with Miss Townsend and adopted the name of Hill(mothers's maiden name who were from Baldock Hertfordshire), his born name being Michael Saunderson born in Thames Ditton, UK
They were married in Vereeninging  by magistrate  Ewan Warde Bowen I would think in 1898.
Any suggestions as to how I can get a marriage certificate? I tried with home affairs a few years ago and their search petered out- Are their people specific personnel or companies who have access to records in Pretoria as a business perhaps?
at the time of departure their children were:
Harold Claude Hill aged 10
Hubert Hill aged 6
Reginald Hill aged 5
Madeline Hill aged 4
Margaret Hill aged 2

I ve heard that John Hill was a churchwarden in some anglican church and the children were in a choir.
Indeed my grandfather Harold Claude was a very accomplished organist and choirmaster.
Ive also heard that the father John Hill had a shoe business with various outlets called the
"Commonwealth Shoe Co Ltd"

I would believe my grandfather Harold Claude Hill must have finished his schooling in South Africa probably Johannesburg and would value any information on this.
Sometime about 1911 to 1913 the family migrated to Kaitaia New Zealand where they farmed.
They retired to Auckland where he died.

However Harold must have returned or stayed here and married my grandmother Dorothy Mary Ogilvie Harvey( daughter of John wardell Nicholson Harvey and Constance Ogilvie) in Grahamstown on 31 March 1913 . John W N Harvey farmed on Rietfontein between Grahamstown and Fort Beaufort had two brothers William and Archibald.
It would also be of interest to know of this side of the family too.

Patrick
Email and contact details removed in accordance with Rootschat privacy policy. You will be able to send a private Message with someone once you have posted 3 times.

Offline Justin Hervey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Hill and family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 14 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

I was sent this link by another distant relative (grandson of William Harvey) who managed to track me down, I am Archibald's great grandson. My Dad Hilton has mentioned that we are connected to the Hill family and I know that they have been in contact so I should be able to get the information you require within a couple of days.

I will let you know when I have something for you.

Kind regards
Justin

Offline Justin Hervey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

I also have a Hill wedding photograph (looks to be around the 1960's), I will ask my dad to put names to the faces.

Regards - Justin

Offline Justin Hervey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
Another thing... if the Harvey line interests you I have a fairly comprehensive breakdown going back a couple of centuries.