Author Topic: Douglas family of Limavady  (Read 12592 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas family of Limavady
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 August 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for having a look anyway!!
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 September 14 16:01 BST (UK) »
Still working on this family! Does anyone know where the information re the maiden name of Nancy Ferguson who married Matthew Douglas originated? I visited PRONI yesterday, found the record on marriage record on microfilm BUT there was no mention of her maiden name.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline vichou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 September 14 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Cyclamen

I thought it was on familysearch, but that just has Nancy Ferguson, and her father as William (no surname)

Emerald Ancestors has a Civil Marriage Record: 2 Nov 1846 Mathew DOUGLAS & Nancy Ferguson (Austen) Bovevagh Church of Ireland.

Someone visited PRONI and said this: Nancy was a widow from Ballyquin, Parish of Balteagh. No father's name was given (possibly illegitimate). I had expected to see her maiden name. The witnesses were Robert Hunter and Joseph Hunter(perhaps her brothers).

The Marriage certificate of their son, Joseph DOUGLAS, in 1893 in NZ gives parents names Matthew DOUGLAS & Nancy HUNTER. Also his sister Jane DOUGLAS's death certificate in 1876 in NZ gives same parents names.

Hope this helps

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 September 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
I came up with the same information at PRONI. They were married in Bovevagh C of I. I thought that Emerald Ancestors had transcribed the church records and if this is the case where has the name Austen/Hunter come from?

Like you I would suspect the witnesses were her brothers or possibly one could be her father. I think perhaps the name Hunter has somewhere been mistranscribed as Austen.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline rbdouglas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 April 23 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell,

I am new to this board and am interested in the photos you have/had for Samuel Douglas' gravestone.  Haven't figured out how to send you a private message.  Hope to hear from you.  Thanks.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 30 April 23 18:17 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, rbdouglas  :)

Haven't figured out how to send you a private message. 

If you make at least one more post (just say Hi etc), you can use the Personal Message (PM) system to contact kingskerswell (who was last online here in July 2020) and be able to exchange personal data, such as e-mail address.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline rbdouglas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 April 23 18:27 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglassan,

Thanks for taking the time to provide the explanation.  Much appreciated.