Author Topic: Addled Brain  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Addled Brain
« on: Monday 03 March 14 15:32 GMT (UK) »
I need clarification in that Daniel and Denis might be interchangeable names, or could an Irish accent for "Den" sound like a shortened form of "Dan" =Daniel and vice versa? 

I started researching my late father-in-law's McCARTHY/MACCARTHY/McARTY/McARTEY line about 15 years ago but have had to keep putting it aside until more records were made available.  In that time I've downloaded documents only to have some of them lost in old computers and haven't been able to replace them because old websites have been sold and although I've looked on the new sites, I've found it nigh impossible to replace what I've lost because of the common surname I'm researching and the secrecy of the new owners to give more than the bare minimum of information.

My father-in-law born in Byker, Newcastle was named after his father James Joseph McCarthy born in Cardiff. My father-in-law had several sisters but only one brother, Dan, named after their grandfather Daniel McCarthy, also born in Cardiff.

The Welsh records that I've found are confusing and it seems several sections of early census are missing, thus I don't know if I'm following the correct families.

1901 Census Byker, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland  RG 13/4792
McCarthy, James, head, 32, boilermaker, born Cardiff Glam
McCarthy, Williamina (Shirras), wife, 28, born Scotland.
with daughters Jane Pearson Shirras 9; May 2 ; Kate 4mths
--
According to my brother-in-law the family bible stated that Jame's parents were Daniel McCarthy born Cardiff and Maria Thomas born Merthyr Tydfil - and I found them in the 1881 census living in Longburn, Newcastle :-

1881 Longburn Census, RG 11/5083
Daniel McCarthy, head, boilermaker, 41, born Cardiff, Glam.
Maria McCarthy, wife, 41, born Merthyr Tydfil.
James McCarthy, son, 14 Rivet heater shipyard, born Cardiff, Glam.
Catherine J, dau, 10, scholar, born Walker Sunderland

--

Death cert 5th March 1941, Newcastle, for :-
James Joseph McCarthy, age 73,  boilermaker (retired) signed Jane S(hirras) Carr, daughter
--
Birth Cert for McCarthy and Thomas:
James J McCarthy Birth cert 21 November 1867,Cardiff, Glamorgan & Monmouth but his father isn't Daniel but Denis McCarthy.

Child:   James Joseph McCarthy, boy
Father; DENIS (?) McCarthy, boilermaker journeyman
Mother: Maria McCarthy, formerly THOMAS.
(signed): the mark of Maria McCarthy, mother, address 31 Scott Street, St. Mary.
--

The only marriage record that I could find between a McCarthy and a Thomas was between a DENIS, not a DANIEL, and the groom's age is at odds with the census:-

20th August 1864, solemnized at the St Mary's Church, Stow Hill, Newport, Glam & Mon.

Groom: DENIS McCarthy, AGE 26; batchelor; Boilermaker; father Patrick McCarthy, Wharf Labourer.
(wrong age - but I'm wondering if the original was a "casual 4" which looks like a 6 and the age should be 24 not 26);

Bride: Maria Thomas; Age 23; spinster; father Richard Thomas, Sawyer
---

I can't find a Maria Thomas in the 1851 census living with father Richard Thomas.

Neither can I find a Daniel McCarthy living with Patrick in 1851 but there is a baby Daniel living with parents Patrick and Mary in John Street, Cardiff, St. Mary in 1841:

Patrick McCarthy, 30, labourer, Ireland
Mary do, 30, --, Ireland
Ellen do, 10, --, Ireland
Patrick do, 3, -- Yes
Daniel do, 1, -- Yes
-
next door:
Denis McCarthy, 40, -- Ireland
Judith, 40, -- Ireland
Daniel,11 -- Ireland
Margaret, 8, -- Ireland
Patrick, 6, -- Ireland
Ellen, 3, -- Ireland

I'd be obliged for anyone's thoughts on these anomalies - thanks
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke