Author Topic: FOSTER, Joseph (b.c1854)  (Read 8737 times)

Offline theFosters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FOSTER, Joseph (b.c1854)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 23:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.  I have seen Alexander and his family to Market Street Lurgan in the census (that was the house my father grew up in).  My older relatives remember Alexander's childern visiting relatives in Rathfriland up until the 1960s and recall stories of a family mamber being mayor of Capetown.  I am trying to get to Alexander's parents via the connection to the Rathfriland Fosters, all of whom appear to be bootmakers.

Any links appreciated.

Offline leightorr25

• RootsChat Extra
  • This is hard work....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 07:26 BST (UK) »
The Foster who was Mayor of Cape Town was my Great-grandmother's brother, William Charles Foster (1914-1974)! He came out to South Africa in 1902, and served as Cape Town Mayor from 1937-1939.

William was one of 13 children, my great-grandmother being one of only 3 daughters! There was a brother whose name was Alexander (b. around 1900) - could this possibly be your Alexander? If so, I have details on the family tree that might interest you. Please email me!

Kind regards,
Leigh (Port Elizabeth, South Africa)
Torr, Thomas, Brunt, May, Turner, Symmonds, Tunnington, Hosking, Knipe, Arnold, Painter, Foster, Dewes, Randall, Walker, Holland

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 January 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm not a Foster, my mums cousin married a Foster ( Lurgan Foster's) and moved from England to NI, their daughter still lives locally to Lurgan, their son married and migrate ( 1969) but I have been doing some research on this family branch with interesting results

It was nice to read about Foster's going to Sth Africa...they seem to be people who certainly liked to travel  and they are still doing that.

I have posted so I can easily find you again as I have a small holding just outside Dromore Co Down, only a couple of miles from Rathfriland and I am in the process of arranging my move back so within the next few months I will go and look in person.

It is Rathfriland 1st church 350 year anniversary this year so my guess is there will be some events and displays, which may include some interesting  records and local history, if so maybe I could photograph them  or scan and send

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline AlliB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Leigh

Joseph Foster was my great grandfather and his Granddaughter still lives in the family house in Rathfriland. My Grandmother was your Great grandmother's sister (from Joseph's second marriage). His first wife died shortly after the birth of her 10th child and he married my great grandmother.

I can give you quite a lot of information about the family from this end and would be interested in hearing about those who went to south Africa. Two or three brothers emigrated to USA and the youngest sister to New Zealand.

Apparently the whole family was very musical.

I'd love to hear from you. 

Offline somerset to australia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi ,I am another great grand daughter of Joseph through his son also named Joseph  who was born 1882,in Rathfrilland,Northern Ireland. Joseph the younger moved to England and had 8 children. I am very interested in hearing info from anyone who can help fill in the gaps..I have great uncles serving n the 4th SA army in WW1, others emigrating to America but didn't know about a great Aunt? emigrating to New Zealand.I now live in Australia and would be very keen to share what information I have ...

Offline AlliB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 October 14 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi sorry about the late reply!
Joseph re-married after his first wife died shortly after the birth of their 10th child! The baby was called Samuel and he was killed at the Somme in WW1 when he was 21 (I think).
Samuel's second wife had 3 children Mary Jane (my Grandmother), Robert (Bob) and Ruby who emigrated to New Zealand. She married Tom Robinson and their family still live in and around Christchurch.

Offline fostersearch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: FOSTERS - Rathfriland
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
My Foster family came from Rathfriland to Glasgow.  Apparently there was a Foster family Bible because my great grandfather Robert Foster had to refer to it to find out his date of birth. His father was James Foster (farmer) who married Ann Jane Smyth in Drumballyroney.  It would be great to find that Bible so that I can find out more about our Irish family.