Author Topic: Marriage and Birth lookup and links to Bell family Rathfriland  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
  • its not the critic who counts
    • View Profile
Marriage and Birth lookup and links to Bell family Rathfriland
« on: Friday 16 May 14 23:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to link Bell family members from Rathfriland.
Possible marriage John Bell to Rachel Bell pre 1867. Their Daughter link to Margaret Bell born 1867-1949 her daughter Margaret Ellen Bell born 1895 and sister Esther (Essie) Bell born 1896 and brother Joseph Bell 1894
Walker family Tullylish, Co Down and Terryhoogan. Co Armagh.  Conolly family Tullylish.  Bell family Rathfriland, Co Down

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and Birth lookup and links to Bell family Rathfriland
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 14 06:11 BST (UK) »

Although Margaret is supposedly widowed in 1911, the 1901 census shows Margaret as not married.   I had a look on GRONI online for the children in the 1901 census and quickly found 3 potential Newry registrations, Margaret born 5 November 1889, Joseph born 24 January 1893, and Esther born 31 March 1896. 

In all 3 cases the mother's maiden name is blank. In my experience this may support the possibility that she wasn't married, ie. if you pay to view one of them I wouldn't be surprised if the mother's name is stated as Margaret Bell (with "formerly" stroked out or left blank) and no father's name entered. Just a thought.

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 May 14 10:22 BST (UK) »
The census returns refer to the family.  Tracing back from there was the problem.  I agree that it appears there is no marriage for Margaret.  Is it possible to go beyond Rachel or would record's exist?
Walker family Tullylish, Co Down and Terryhoogan. Co Armagh.  Conolly family Tullylish.  Bell family Rathfriland, Co Down

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 May 14 10:41 BST (UK) »
Would there be any reference to Mary Jane 6yrs and John Thomas 9yrs births shown on census of 1901?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 May 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Rachel's birthplace in the 1901 census is stated as Rathfriland. Of course, we can't rely 100% on the accuracy of this.

PRONI says the earliest registers for Rathfriland Church of Ireland (Drumgath) were "destroyed in Dublin" and the first baptisms held are from 1881, in local custody.

The only other church baptism records in Rathfriland held by PRONI are for the Presbyterian Church, from 1827-1970 for the 1st Presbyterian Church, 1804-1934 for the 2nd Presbyterian Church, and 1834-1934 for the 3rd Presbyterian Church.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 May 14 12:07 BST (UK) »

Would there be any reference to Mary Jane 6yrs and John Thomas 9yrs births shown on census of 1901?

You can search here:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Offline Nairda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 May 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information which has been helpful and taken my research a little further.

Offline beller9993

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 July 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
I am related to this family, and have been trying to build the family tree, any information i can give you are welcome. my grand father was Joseph Bell. born 11 November 1893