Author Topic: Am totally lost  (Read 11470 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am totally lost
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 March 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Some sites to help with researchin Nova Scotia

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canns/musq2.html

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canns

www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/census.aspx

http://geneofun.on.ca/names/ns/R?page=2

http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/search.html

www.novascotiagenealogy.com

http://automatedgenealogy.com

These sites will take you to information in a book on the Musquodoboit Pioneers. You will have to scroll through a lot of information but it seems that the first Reid to settle in the area are in this book.
Musquodoboit Pioneers - A Record of Seventy Families Their Homesteads and Genealogies 1780-1980

At the Library and Archives site, you can access the available census information for the years that exist. Some of the early census info for Nova Scotia has been lost. Just put in surname Reid and Musquodoboit to find the entries. For 1891, the info in under Halifax County, Polling Station 22. Also, when looking for Musquodoboit info, look at both Halifax and Colchester counties.

For bmd's at the Nova Scotia Genealogy site, early records often didn't exist. You will often find late registrations of birth. Deaths for the years of David and Janet's aren't available. You often need to piece information together using death dates from headstones, etc. to find info at various sites.

It appears that your Reid family may be buried in 2 cemeteries, Hillcrest Cemetery in Halifax County and Bell Gift/New Annan Bell Gift Cemetery. Some of the birth information for the children of David and Janet give their marriage as 1852 in Musquodoboit and other as Stewiacke. Keep that in mind when searching for information.

Also most Scots used a naming pattern when naming the children, such as first male son named for the mother's father, first female child for the father's mother, second male child for the father's father, second female child for the mother's mother, then after the father and mother, then after the siblings of the father and mother. It can help when seaching for siblings of David.

Will post more in following threads.
Val

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 March 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Using the links posted in the above thread.

Census info

1861/Upper Musquodoboit
David Reid 5 males 1 female total 6
John Reid 3 males 4 femals total 7
they are on same page 2 lines apart. there are 2 entries for Upper Musquodoboit and 9 for Musquodoboit. You may want to look at Reid's in other parts of the counties.

1871 Census/Nova Scotia/Upper Musquodoboit/Page 30
David Reid, age 40, occupation carpenter
Jannet, age 41
George, age 17
Charles, age 15
Frederick, age 10
Jessie, age 7
Elizabeth, age 4
Ellen, age 2
David, 1 month

Page 16
Reid, John, 50, presbyterian, millwright
Marthaann, 38
George, age 21
Maryann, age 20
Martha, 17
Jane, 14
Elizabeth, 12
William, 10
Esther, 8
Barbara, 6
Ruth, 3
John 1

David and John could be brothers.

1881/Nova Scotia
Reid, David
Janet
on one page and the children on the folling page
Frederic, 21, farmer
Jessie, 17
Bessie, 13 (Elizabeth)
Nellie, 11 (Ellen)
David, 10
Sydney, 5

1891/Halifax County/Polling District 22/
Reid, David, 60, carpenter
Janet, 62
Fred
Bessie
Nellie
David
Sydney

I didn't look at 1901/1911/1921 but they are available at LAC/Ancestry and 1901/1911 at Automated Genealogy

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 March 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
using
www.novascotiagenealogy.com

for BMD's
marriage
1892 Book 1818 Page 233 Number 6
Frederick Reid
Annie Barrett

marriage 1889
Jessie Reid
Charles Holman

marriage 1894 Colchester County
Ellen M Reid, parents David and Janet
George Jeffers

Death
1934 Book 91 Page 247
David Reid, August 25, 1934
Upper Musquodoboit
married
b. March 3, 1871
farmer
Mary Whiman, niece, informant

birth
Sydney Reid, 1875, Musquodoboit, Colchester County

Ellen Reid, b. June 1869, Musquodoboit, Colchester County, parents David Reid and Jennett Hamilton, has their marriage as 8 June 1852, Stewiacke

Elizabeth Reid
23 August 1867, Musquodoboit, Colchester County
parents David and Janet, has their marriage 1852 Musquodoboit

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 March 14 14:08 GMT (UK) »
using the cemetery search

Bessie Reid, 1867-1947
wife of Burke Dellman (Dillman)
Hillcrest Cemetery Section 145, Halifax Co.

Capt. Charles Reid
b. Dec 28, 1853 d. Jan 15, 1922
w. Annabelle Urquhart 1855-1947
Bayview/Waldegrave/MacConnell Cemetery, Colchester County
I am not 100% sure this is the son of David and Janet but it gives you a date of death to look at.

David Reid 1831-1898
Hillcrest Cemetery Section 199, Halifax co.
d. Oct 14, 1898 age 67 yrs 6 months
Also his wife Janet died April 23, 1897, age 68 years 10 months
And their children Mary died May 12, 1860, aged 3 years, Edward died Nov 5, 1868 aged 7 years, Mary Jane died Jan 1, 1869, age 3 years 3 months

David Reid
1872-1934
also his wife Frances V. 1872-1960
Hillcrest Cemetery Section 349

There are a lot of Reid's buried in Bell Gift/New Annan Bell Gift Cemeteryincluding William N. Reid 1796-1859, died March 25, 1859 age 63, Also his wife Mary Ann d. aug 4, 1883, age 87

I would look at the census info to see if you can find Mary Ann throughout the census years to see where she is living and who she is living with. This may be David's mother. The fact that David and John were living in Upper Musquodoboit doesn't mean the original family members settled there. If they came in the late 1790's or early 1800's, there is a really good possibility they went to the Stewiacke area and branched out from there.

This will give you some sites to look at and at least fill in some of the blanks for your Reid side.
Val

Offline LostWaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 March 14 17:21 GMT (UK) »
 ;DYes,you hit a match!
The list of names my husband has is matching the major part of that group.
Right down to Sydney.......Thank you again for your outstanding work.As you can tell,I am fairly new to this,but have had such a love of history my entire life.Now that(unfortunately) am much older I needed something new to do,and am learning alot! Have beautiful day and SO MUCH THANK YOU ;D ;D ;D
Waugh
Reid
Johnstone

Offline LostWaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 March 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Everything is right on right up to David Reid being a carpenter.
We know his parents were William Reid and Mary Grant. The other dates would tell me they had to be born in Scotland and maybe even married there too. Have to be the original people who settled in Nova Scotia.
Have searched through every county,PEI and even Quebec.Nothing.
Although my father in law(70) says his father told him that HIS father spoke with an accent and spoke gaelic.Interesting.......but that's my spot on the page. ;D
                                                                                ???
Waugh
Reid
Johnstone

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 March 14 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I went to the book that I gave you the site to look at. James Reid who originally settled in Upper Musquodoboit does not appear to be your direct line but may be related. The John that appears in the census info appears to be a son of the James that is in the book. The David, son of James, that was born in 1831, died age 24 in 1856 and is buried in Pioneer Cemetery. I think the William and Mary that you are looking for may be the ones in New Annan. What other information does your father in law know and how does he know the names William Reid and Mary Grant. Does he know where they are buried. That can be extremely helpful. The Scot's that came to Nova Scotia in the late 1700's, early 1800's would speak both gaelic and english. My grandfather immigrated in 1904 from Scotland and he spoke both. My other line came to Nova Scotia in 1761 as part of the Irish Immigration and 1774 as part of the Yorkshire Immigartion.  A lot of Scot's immigrated to Pictou County and then settled across Nova Scotia. There are early Reid families in Cumberland and Pictou counties.

Any information that you can add as to where the ancestors lived and are buried can be helpful.
Val

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 March 14 23:58 GMT (UK) »

Going back to your original post where was William Francis Waugh killed in 1947.

Are you looking for Waugh information or are you more interested in Reid info.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline LostWaugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 March 14 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes,he was.I figure that is why dad does not know alot about him.....basic.
He had just turned 8 on December 22nd,and dad was killed 2 days later Christmas Eve,driving a horse pulled sled with a piano for kids at the hospital.Cab driver driving drunk hit him and his horses fell on him and killed him:( I heard this and thought that was so sad.
Waugh is my side and Reid is my husband's side.Interesting to us,we found that some long time ago in Scotland,A Reid married a Waugh,we thought it was cool to put our notes together and see what else we could find out.Thanks for the help.Maybe we are distant relations,your aunt,my dad?
Waugh
Reid
Johnstone