Author Topic: Jull's of Boughton-under-Blean & Selling  (Read 1885 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Jull's of Boughton-under-Blean & Selling
« on: Saturday 11 July 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to clean up my Jull family data, but am having problems finding the necessary records. My first problem is my ancestor, John Jull (c.1736 Boughton-under-Blean) who is said to have been married twice, but I have not been able to hunt down a marriage record for him. His known wife, and my ancestor, is Sarah who died in 1789 at Selling. It is believed they married around 1765, possibly in BuB or Selling. Does anyone out there have a transcript of these parish records digitally that I can look at?

Regards

Lee

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Jull's of Boughton-under-Blean & Selling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 09 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,

I have two curious marriages of a John Jull to Sarah Robinson.  Note different parishes and also specifically note different years of marriage.

JULL, John married ROBINSON, Sarah - 06 Feb 1749 - he widower of Boughton-Blean & she widow of this parish at Ospringe - Sources: PR, BT

JULL, John married ROBINSON, Sarah - 21 May 1764 - no description of either party to the marriage - Source:  Teynham AD

Looking at the christening years of the children born to John and Sarah Jull at Selling, I would have to say that these are two entirely different Sarah Robinson's.  However, it is entirely possible that both John Julls are one and the same person.

Possible marriage entry candidate for the widow Sarah's first marriage which negates the possibility of this one being the wife at Selling (child chr. 1780 at Selling would make mother 60 years of age):

ROBINSON, John married LAW, Sarah - 07 Oct 1736 - no description of either party to the marriage - Source:  Ospringe   PR BT

There is then a John Robinson buried at Ospringe on 26 Aug 1739 but no corresponding burial of a Sarah Robinson at any time up to 1836.  There appears to have been only 1 child born - Robert, christened at Ospringe 24 Sept 1738 with no indication of burial or marriage of that child at Ospringe, Teynham, Faversham, Preston-Faversham, Selling, Sheldwich, Leaveland, Badlesmere, or Graveney. 

I have not yet looked at my Boughton-under-Blean records but will do during Sunday and will write with an update Sunday night for you.

Regards,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,

Have now checked my Boughton-under-Blean records and this what I've discovered:

chr. 1766, 31 Nov   Jane   daughter of John/Sarah Jull

chr. 1767, 31 Aug    Margaret   daughter of John/Sarah Jull

bur. 1775, 6 Jan   Sarah Jull - Would expect that this is the wife of the first John Jull marriage, she being formerly Robinson nee Law (all speculative, of course)

bur. 1778, 12 May     John Jull - Would expect that this is the John Jull of the earlier marriage.

The only other Jull reference 1759 through 1779 are to those of the families of two separate Thomas Julls, both of whom married at Boughton-under-Blean and christened children there.  Entries for children of each couple during September and October 1778 clarified that there were, in fact, two separate men named Thomas Jull in that parish.  When each of them married, they each married as bachelors.

Sorry I can't be of more help than this.  But, at least, now you know that there was no marriage at either Boughton-under-Blean or Selling for a John Jull.  Neither did such a marriage take place at Chartham, Westwell or Godmersham.

Good luck.

Regards,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your help with the family.

I've since discovered that the John Jull who died in 1778 left a will. Hopefully I can get a copy which should help to workout his relatives