Author Topic: John MILES d. 1744 Leigh & John MILLES d. 1730 Horsmonden|Brenchley - related ?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1. Richard Miles (1755-1814)
I have worked my gggg (or so) grandfather to Richard Miles (1755-1814) m. Anne Saxby, Tonbridge and Leigh. These names are given in Quaker Records in US and verified in the IGI records of Leigh, Kent.

2. Samuel Miles (1723-1802)

For Richard I have determined that his father was Samuel Miles (1723-1802) This I have determined from a headstone transcription of Samuel Miles in the Old Churchyard St Mary Leigh where it gives the above dates and lists issue of Samuel and Elizabeth (Hunt) Miles, his wife; Richard's name is included. The list of children match up to the IGI church christening records. Book "Leigh in Kent" puts Samuel as owning a farm, and Richard leaves same farm in his will (Enfield and/or Haysden farms). Etc. Seems pretty good that I have this right. Uncle George Hunt mentioned in Richard's will. Samuel and Elizabeth marriage can be found on IGI.

3. John Miles ( ? - 1744)
I have found a will for John Miles who died 1744 in Leigh. In this will he leaves his farm in Leigh to son, Samuel. Dates match. So feel this John is right. There is one connection to Brenchley mentioned in his will, and that is his eldest daughter, Elizabeth, who had married John Hickmott, and they are living in Brenchley. No lands left at this point, from Brenchley.

I have a list of his children from the will, and wife name of Elizabeth. No IGI marriage records show the date etc of their marriage. The children are registered at the church in Brenchley, not Leigh, as John's with, again, Elizabeth is not named. Only in will. ( Edward, Elizabeth, Ann, Richard, Samuel, Mary ). and Samuel is born in 1723, the right year.

There are two sons ( John and William ) unaccounted for in church records. Email correspondence with another researcher says that (3) John had been married before Elizabeth, to Susanna Stephens (Stevens) in 1705 at Horsmonden, which is near Brenchley, and these two sons are hers, and recorded in Brenchley. I see that in IGI. I do not see her death/burial information though.

I would like to verify this information somehow, Susanna's death and that this is the same John. It would seem to be, if you add in all the children's names, then that would make the same as in his will.

Also to get a year of birth for (3) John ( ? - 1744).

4. John Milles ( ? - 1730)
I have found another will for a John Milles written in 1730, gentleman, Horsmonden, Kent.
My correspondent believes that the earlier John (3) John Miles is b. 1686 in Chevening to Jeffrey Myles. This is in IGI. She linked them because Jeffrey, of Chevening, was buried in Brenchley, but this I cannot verify.

I am leaning towards John Milles (Horsmonden) as the next generation back because I cannot verify what she found about Jeffrey, and because of the Brenchley and Horsmonden connection(s). John Milles did have a son John (ouch though - all these names repeat over and over and over which has made this all so tough). His son John must have been older, he did not leave him much property but he is executor, which makes me think that he had already settled with him, John, and another brother, Thomas. (I see some later records for a John and Thomas Milles in Horsmonden, but they seem to be the next generation however there is not enough to go on in these record snippets - or the will).

Property in Wood-Church which is not that far away, perhaps under 10 miles from Horsmonden and maybe 12 from Brenchley, was left to son, Richard Milles, who seems to be the youngest son and in need of supervision of two older brothers, and an annuity, etc. There are rules about the land, income and rent to be followed.

The will also says the testator (4) John Milles lives at Spelmonden, which seems to have been a farm or an estate, in Horsmonden, again that is perhaps two miles from Brenchley. The only other location mentioned is that John Milles wants to be buried next to his "unkle" John Milles in Biddenen, which is closer to Wood-Church. He has kinswomen in Bersted, which is much farther afield, south. Looks like Mary and Sarah Hoods (?) the last name is hard for me to make out.

Leigh
is not mentioned, but again, could that have been disposed of earlier?

There is another IGI record for this generation, of a John Milles born to a William Milles in Leigh, could it be the same John as (4) John? That would be a tie into Leigh, if more could be found, and this is the right track.

Does anyone know this family line?

Offline miles_hagen_bown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
It looks like there may be no connection. I have wills for some family members, no mention of Leigh. Also I found one for a John Milles of Horsmonden, who died in 1760, with brother Thomas, so this is most likely the John, son of John Milles (d. 1730) mentioned in title. I had not been able to track him before and thought he might me mine.

So that leaves me with my John Miles, yeoman, died 1744 in Leigh, Kent. Where is his birth, and parents? He does appear to be the John Miles who married twice (Susanna Stephens in Horsmonden and Elizabeth) with children baptised in Brenchley because all 8 names of the christened children match all 8 names of his children in his will, and his oldest daughter, Elizabeth, was married and lived in Brenchley. Son Samuel's date of birth also matches my Samuel.

I am at a dead end.

Too many Miles with too few given names.  ???

Offline MacduffD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I've just come across this message, which interested me.

John Milles (d.1730) is my 7x Gt Grandfather.  He was the son of John Milles (1607-24 Apr 1677).  I go back four generations further to a William Milles of Biddenden, but I have no dates.  Unlike much of the rest of my tree, I have taken quite a lot of research from others, so I don't know where the source information has come from.  I would suspect, though, that William must have been born around 1500.

In the other direction John (d. 1730) had John (1704-1760) (who married Mary Willett), Thomas, and Richard.  I have seven children noted for John and Mary. Their sons, John (1731-1771) and Thomas (1733-1807), appear to have had the lease of a farm at Combwell, Gouldhurst.

John married Ruth Leigh Hunt and their granddaughter, Mary Milles (1814-1887), was my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother.  She married John Whitehead of Barnjet, Barming and had a huge family.

I think the short answer to the question you pose is that John Miles (d.1744) is not directly related to John Milles (d.1730).  You seem to have reached that conclusion yourself, though!  I suspect there is some distant connection though.

I haven't worked out the Milles family in my own head yet, or got a real feel for them, and there is still a bit of work to be done here, but I get the impression that all the Kent Milles families are related (including the family at Nackington from whom Lord Sondes descended) and with a bit of concerted effort, it should be possible to pull them into shape!

If I can be of any help, I should be happy to assist.

Kind regards,

Robert