Author Topic: Relationship between French Norman and English arms  (Read 6614 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Relationship between French Norman and English arms
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 November 13 08:26 GMT (UK) »
I think my crest would be an indicator that Richard Lionhart (being French) and my kin are from Wiltshire that shows parts of heraldry are used on both sides of the channel?

:)

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Relationship between French Norman and English arms
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 November 13 12:28 GMT (UK) »
"I think that is very iffy. A tradition emerged in heraldry where people assumed they were related to another family of the same surname and adopted similar but not quite the same arms. You need to be careful here."

I'm not sure that that was a common practice at any stage and certainly not a "tradition". In any case we are specifically discussing the 12th/13th century period when surnames were almost unknown and, as I said, most of the Normans and Norman /English would have known each other's families. They would also have met at tournaments and on the battlefield, so an imposter would have difficulty in staying undetected.
You'll note that I did say "on the balance of probabilities" referring to this period. I would not give the same advice for any time a century or more later.

Maec   
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)