Author Topic: TORRY family King Edward  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Humpheryes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TORRY family King Edward
« on: Friday 31 October 08 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just joined this board and wonder if anyone has any information other than the census information regarding this family. William Torry was born in King Edward, son of Robert Torry. He lived at the Mill of Blackton until about 1851-61 when he moved to Forglen in Banffshire. In Forglen he was described as a miller at the Mill of Ribrae. Particularly interested in the Mills and if anyone has any links to this Family that remained in Scotland, half the family (our relations) walked to London about 1880 and lost contact with the rest of the family. I have details of children, wife9s) and other relations if anyone is interested. Thanks, Ian

Offline Humpheryes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: TORRY family King Edward
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 08 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve for your information, I will check the dates against my records. If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Ian

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 08 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,

I don't know if you've used the NLS maps before.  The link bewlow is to their 6" to 1 mile ones.

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

If you click down throught the layers in the NE of Scotland, just to the NW of Turriff, you'll come across Forglen/House - just to the west of that you'll find the Mill of Ribrae - a fairly substantial property by the look of it.  If you click on the 'Historic' tab to the right of the page and zoom slghtly in and out - gives a variety of maps.  My pc is giving me grief at the moment, but I'm sure that you can save the view.  Give it a try - if you haven't already done so.

Regards,  Steve  :O)

Offline Nikstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 April 10 00:16 BST (UK) »
Iam interested in the mill of ribrae and its past history, i have been trying to track down information on a margaret grant who lived and died there but have not got very far when i came across your message on this site.

Offline Nikstar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi we live at Mill of Ribrae croft, i have been trying to find out history of past tenants/owners as we have a lot of visits from relatives of people who used to live here