Author Topic: Isle of Lismore - Burials  (Read 4060 times)

Offline greytopgirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isle of Lismore - Burials
« on: Thursday 28 October 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered this site so thought I would give it a try. 
I am searching my family tree - McPherson & Connell - from the Isle of Lismore.  Don't know where my relatives are buried but assume all at the same location.  Can anyone tell me the name of the cemetery (church of Scotland) 1800 - 1950 and how I can obtain records of people buried there.
Would love to go and look there one day but would like to get as much information as I can before I plan to travel.
Many thanks.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Lismore - Burials
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:05 GMT (UK) »
I take it that the Isle of Lismore would be on google maps.  Sounds to me as though it is not one of the larger islands.  If they had their own church and church yard, probably they would be.  some of the other islands had more than one church yard as it is impossible to continue buring people in the same place forever and a day.
Maybe try the link for Argyll at the front of this section Im sure I saw one.  that may actually help for starters. :) And for the res Scotlandspeople hold all the relevant information for anything scottish, BMD etc.  Mitchell Library.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Lismore is about 10 miles long and the main way of getting there is by CALMAC ferry from Oban. There is a church on the island (C of S). There is also a heritage society on the island. They may be able to help you with enquiries about BDMs on the island.

www.celm.org.uk/

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline DollarConnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 September 13 05:37 BST (UK) »
Hi My family lived on Lismore from 1890 back to at least 1750 if not earlier, they were crofters out at Balnagowan.........how did you go with any information on either Connell, Connel or Connil on Lismore island ? keen to hear
Connell's from Dollar 1890-1930, and Lismore Island 1750-1880