Author Topic: Gillies / Dewar in Glassary and Lochgilphead  (Read 2884 times)

Offline rkrtx63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillies / Dewar in Glassary and Lochgilphead
« on: Monday 25 November 13 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My 3G Grandmother was Mary Dewar born to John Dewar and Sara Gillies in Glassary in 3 September 1809. I also found John and Sara in the 1841 census in Lochgilphead living with two of Mary's children Sara and William. Mary had Married William McMillan in 1831. I could not find a marriage record for John and Sara. I found Mary listed as illegitimate on her husband Williams death record. So I believe its possible that John Dewar and Sara Gillies were never married. I think I found the death of John Dewar in 1858 in Lochgilphead, it gives his father's name as Duncan Dewar. The informant was Angus McTavish (nephew) if I'm reading the handwriting correctly.

I am wondering if anyone has these people in their lines or more information about the Gillies and Dewars in those areas?

Thanks,

Ronnie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gillies / Dewar in Glassary and Lochgilphead
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ronnie

This might connect to the Angus McTavish showing as nephew on the possible death for John Dewar:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBKB-5H5

As you know, normally mother's maiden name is included on these register entries, but it is not showing on this index.

Monica

Added: I think mother Lilly may also have been a McTavish, from this marriage or banns entry https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTKJ-MZ5  Maybe term nephew being used loosely in terms of relationship, as sometimes happened.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rkrtx63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gillies / Dewar in Glassary and Lochgilphead
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for your reply. I figured that Angus McTavish was an extended nephew. I have found some marriages between McTavish and Gillies, also between McTavish and Dewar but none close enough to make the connection. The Dewar and Gillies lines are a recent endeavor for me so I know little about them or the Glassary and Lochgilphead areas.

Thanks again,

Ronnie