Author Topic: Could someone.. H  (Read 8678 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone.. H
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 April 14 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen
I have interloped into this post as the place names interest me but I am confused/intrigued as to what you are looking/fishing for. In date order, the collated info posted on this thread (working from most recent data date):

A Hugh Henry d. 1904 in Coleraine. Admon states "late of Ballyrogan, Liseall, Garvagh Co., Londonderry", farmer, widow (wife) Bridget.  Catholic.

A Hugh Henry married a Bridget Higgins in 1891, civil registration Coleraine, Catholic Church marriage, Garvagh

A Hugh Henry b. 1871 or 1874.
Hugh Henry b. 1874. Baptised Presbyterian. Parents Samuel Henry and Rachel Taylor (who married in 1865, macosquin Presbyterian). Samuel and Rachel had 8 children, all baptised Presbyterian, macosquin). I think this Hugh Henry has been discarded as a possibility?

A Hugh Henry b. 1870. Parents Rose Ann and Hugh Henry. (Where? Garvagh? Assuming catholic baptism - refer collated info below)

A Hugh Henry married a Rosann Kelly 1867 Garvagh RC. Father of Hugh listed as James Henry.  Father of Rosann listed as John Kelly. This Hugh and Rosanna Henry appear to have baptised a daughter (Mary Ann or Mary Jane) in 1873 Garvagh.  Daughter Mary Ann/Mary Jane was baptised Catholic.

Do you have the dc for Hugh Henry who died in 1904? Is this the man you are trying to research?
Do you have mc for the Hugh Henry marriage to Bridget Higgins in 1891? Any father names listed?
Did Hugh and Bridget have any children? If so, when and where? Names of children might provide clues.
With clues from the above we might be able to sort through possible parents listed in this thread (and others) for your Hugh Henry....
Cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 April 14 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Owen
I have interloped into this post as the place names interest me but I am confused/intrigued as to what you are looking/fishing for. In date order, the collated info posted on this thread (working from most recent data date):

A Hugh Henry d. 1904 in Coleraine. Admon states "late of Ballyrogan, Liseall, Garvagh Co., Londonderry", farmer, widow (wife) Bridget.  Catholic.

A Hugh Henry married a Bridget Higgins in 1891, civil registration Coleraine, Catholic Church marriage, Garvagh

A Hugh Henry b. 1871 or 1874.
Hugh Henry b. 1874. Baptised Presbyterian. Parents Samuel Henry and Rachel Taylor (who married in 1865, macosquin Presbyterian). Samuel and Rachel had 8 children, all baptised Presbyterian, macosquin). I think this Hugh Henry has been discarded as a possibility?

A Hugh Henry b. 1870. Parents Rose Ann and Hugh Henry. (Where? Garvagh? Assuming catholic baptism - refer collated info below)

A Hugh Henry married a Rosann Kelly 1867 Garvagh RC. Father of Hugh listed as James Henry.  Father of Rosann listed as John Kelly. This Hugh and Rosanna Henry appear to have baptised a daughter (Mary Ann or Mary Jane) in 1873 Garvagh.  Daughter Mary Ann/Mary Jane was baptised Catholic.

Do you have the dc for Hugh Henry who died in 1904? Is this the man you are trying to research?
Do you have mc for the Hugh Henry marriage to Bridget Higgins in 1891? Any father names listed?
Did Hugh and Bridget have any children? If so, when and where? Names of children might provide clues.
With clues from the above we might be able to sort through possible parents listed in this thread (and others) for your Hugh Henry....
Cocksie

I'm just trying to make my way back. I can't find much on this Henry family from up there as they seem to quite isolated from the other families in the area.

But basically the way you have it is the correct way. I fiddled it up the last time by thinking that because Macosquin was only down the road that they would be connected but I guess not which is an easy mistake as I am not from Garvagh...

I don't think that catholic church has records that far back. I have looked at the wills and only found one or two wills from the area and the same thing on Emerald ancestors. Very little data on the family..

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 April 14 02:51 BST (UK) »
Owen
I see you are at least on the same continent as the Hugh Henry you are researching.  My irish ancestors left those shores a long time ago - pre irish civil registration, so I don't know much about irish researching post civil registration and am still learning (struggling) with Irish info available online pre 1840s.

However, it does appear to me that there would be info on your Hugh Henry who died in 1904.
What is his connection with yourself? (ie how do you know this Hugh is yours?)
I don't want to appear rude, but it would help if you could answer the questions I listed in my previous post), if not for myself, then for the other rootschatterers who have been trying to help:
1.  Do you have the dc for Hugh Henry who died in 1904? What info does it list? The admon indicates he was married to a Bridget. 
2. Did Hugh and Bridget have any children? If so, When? Where? Names? Do you have any bcs or info on these children? If so, what do info do bcs have?
Then we would have clues to establish/confirm/link the info on marriage of Hugh and Bridget (one possibility kindly posted here is the 1891 marriage of Hugh Henry and Bridget Higgins).

I think we should think of doing baby steps backwards rather than making giant leaps and incorrectly making assumed connections.

Am happy to help as learning how to access the irish data and information system available online will help me gain an understanding of how to do my own irish research.  I am currently swamped trying to understand townlands, civil districts, catholic parish districts, 1922 fires burning up the public records etc - so any distraction from my own brick walls would be a good distraction.

Cocksie
Australia
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 April 14 09:00 BST (UK) »
Owen
I see you are at least on the same continent as the Hugh Henry you are researching.  My irish ancestors left those shores a long time ago - pre irish civil registration, so I don't know much about irish researching post civil registration and am still learning (struggling) with Irish info available online pre 1840s.

However, it does appear to me that there would be info on your Hugh Henry who died in 1904.
What is his connection with yourself? (ie how do you know this Hugh is yours?)
I don't want to appear rude, but it would help if you could answer the questions I listed in my previous post), if not for myself, then for the other rootschatterers who have been trying to help:
1.  Do you have the dc for Hugh Henry who died in 1904? What info does it list? The admon indicates he was married to a Bridget. 
2. Did Hugh and Bridget have any children? If so, When? Where? Names? Do you have any bcs or info on these children? If so, what do info do bcs have?
Then we would have clues to establish/confirm/link the info on marriage of Hugh and Bridget (one possibility kindly posted here is the 1891 marriage of Hugh Henry and Bridget Higgins).

I think we should think of doing baby steps backwards rather than making giant leaps and incorrectly making assumed connections.

Am happy to help as learning how to access the irish data and information system available online will help me gain an understanding of how to do my own irish research.  I am currently swamped trying to understand townlands, civil districts, catholic parish districts, 1922 fires burning up the public records etc - so any distraction from my own brick walls would be a good distraction.

Cocksie
Australia

Well yes its my granny who was a Henry. But I am not and I don't know much about that family. I think this Hugh Henry is my gg grandfather. It is quite far back as I am a bit removed from that family.

I only have the marriage certificate.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Glenkeen/Ballyrogan/1520108/

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 April 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
I found a death of a Hugh Henry at 82 in 1886

Perhaps that is his grandfather.

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:15 BST (UK) »
Okely Dokely
1911 Hugh is allegedly 36 (b. abt 1875)  a farmer, wife Bridget is 34 (b. abt 1877)
With 5 children living with them, Annie being the eldest age 10, so born about 1901.
Followed by Hugh, Richard, Catherine and Sarah.
All RC. Living in Ballyrogan (Glenkeen, Londonderry).
Do you know where Annie (the eldest) was born?

Given the info .... I am struggling to work out how/where the possible marriage in 1891 could work.
Hugh would only be 16, and Bridget only 14. Not impossible .... But ......
Secondly if marriage was in 1891 then where are the older children (ie born between 1891 and Annie in 1901(ish) in the 1911 census? ie are you thinking that the couple had no children for 10 years between a marriage in 1891 and 1901?

I can't see Hugh and Bridget Henry in 1901 census (thanks for the link, tremendous).  So .... Am wondering is, perhaps they weren't married at time of 1901 census? Possibly married not long after and then had Annie very quickly?

Hey, when you say you have a marriage certificate - who's marriage? Your granny's? (Cos info on that might help) or the Henry and Bridget marriage in 1891?
Cocksie

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi cocksie,
this is a link to the 1901 census entry;

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Glenkeen/Ballyrogan/1520108/

if you go back to the 1911 entry a lucky mistake was made on the form. Bridget has filled in " the years married column" as married 20 years, then stroked out. This was only to be filled out for an ongoing marriage, bridget was a widow at this stage, so it gives a guide for a marriage as 1891.

Tony

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:40 BST (UK) »
Okely Dokely
1911 Hugh is allegedly 36 (b. abt 1875)  a farmer, wife Bridget is 34 (b. abt 1877)
With 5 children living with them, Annie being the eldest age 10, so born about 1901.
Followed by Hugh, Richard, Catherine and Sarah.
All RC. Living in Ballyrogan (Glenkeen, Londonderry).
Do you know where Annie (the eldest) was born?

Given the info .... I am struggling to work out how/where the possible marriage in 1891 could work.
Hugh would only be 16, and Bridget only 14. Not impossible .... But ......
Secondly if marriage was in 1891 then where are the older children (ie born between 1891 and Annie in 1901(ish) in the 1911 census? ie are you thinking that the couple had no children for 10 years between a marriage in 1891 and 1901?

I can't see Hugh and Bridget Henry in 1901 census (thanks for the link, tremendous).  So .... Am wondering is, perhaps they weren't married at time of 1901 census? Possibly married not long after and then had Annie very quickly?

Hey, when you say you have a marriage certificate - who's marriage? Your granny's? (Cos info on that might help) or the Henry and Bridget marriage in 1891?
Cocksie

But that is them though because my granny used to talk about that one higgins and his age is wrong. In the marriage certificate it says hes 20.

And the marriage certificate is for the Hugh and Bridget. It just says the father is Hugh Henry and the mother Rose ann Kelly.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Just found a death and a will at Ballyrogan so that is him.

James Henry

1880 aged 84. Closest baptism is Garvagh 1st Presbyterian in 1796 but just gonna ignore that one.
Gonna try and see if I can find some other stuff on him