Author Topic: VIGERS to BERRY  (Read 4302 times)

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
VIGERS to BERRY
« on: Wednesday 30 September 09 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

At hair-tearing point... trying to find any details on Elizabeth VIGERS, born Spreyton, Devon 1828-29.  The last I can track her is the 1861 census, age 32, unmarried, working as a housemaid for J Walker at Marpool Hall, Withycombe Rawleigh.

Father John and mother Jemima nee WAY/WAYE/WEY married 1828, Spreyton.

Elizabeth's sister, Mary, born 1831, Spreyton, married John Henry BERRY in 1862 at Marylebone, Middlesex.  They and their 5 children immigrated to New Zealand in 1873 where they then had Isabella in 1874 (my g-grandmother).  Yet to track them to Australia, but they arrived around 1880 re Isabella's death reg (not all children).

Meanwhile, back to Elizabeth - sometime after 1861 she also married a BERRY - family heirlooms bearing names Elizabeth Vigers 1853 and Elizabeth Berry 1873.  Numerous searches with name variations have turned up nothing.  (Devon records for Spreyton scarce.)  It's as if she dropped off the planet after the 1861 census...

Any help, knowledge, suggestions would most appreciated.

Jen
Haworth Healey Berry Jukes Whitley Preece Vigers Gray Grey Ricketts Tanner Watterson Anderson Black

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: VIGERS to BERRY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 01:07 BST (UK) »
heirlooms bearing names Elizabeth Vigers 1853 and Elizabeth Berry 1873.

Did Mary & John Henry Berry have a daughter Elizabeth b 1873

Freebmd has an Elizabeth Vigers marriage in September qtr 1861 Stoke Damerel 5B  547 but there are 2 females and only one male on the same page

Ancestry used to have the full GRO index available so you could check the entry against a possible spouse named Berry.  Unfortunately - they have either removed it or changed the link because I can't get into it
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Found the ref on Free BDM marriages and trying to discover more details about deaths etc re married names.  There are about nine entries of variations of the Vigers name attached to Elizabeth in the marriages in about 10-year span.... a long haul on dial-up.

??? Yes, Mary and John DID have a daughter Elizabeth, born 1865.  Far out.  Was assuming the heirlooms stayed with the same Elizabeth, but maybe not.  Maybe they passed to her neice, Mary's daughter.  Laughing and groaning here at missing what could be the obvious.  Though it still doesn't help much with what happened to Mary's sister.... maybe she never did become a Berry!  Which means she could be anyone, married after 1861.  Fudge.

THANK YOU, Carole, for suggesting something I didn't connect!  This is starting (?) to do my head in.

Jen
Haworth Healey Berry Jukes Whitley Preece Vigers Gray Grey Ricketts Tanner Watterson Anderson Black

Offline claret49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 09 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My grandmother was a Vigers, and her father and grandfather were Spreyton born, 1810 and 1846 (both called Samuel). I  have a large collection of Vigers photos of that period, with of course few names! However I will see what information I can find. (My cousin has a Vigers tree, compiled by Ern Vigers of Canada.)
Phil

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Oh, wow, Phil, can't help but feel in awe of the 'large collection of photos'.  It's all very well to get dates for a tree, but I'm the sort of person who wants to 'know' the people and wonders who they really were and of course what they looked like.

Going by the info I have, your Samuel of 1810 could well be my John Vigers' brother!

I've got them as children to William and Jemima, along with Jane, James, Sarah, George, Robert, Joseph, Mary, Anne, and William (jnr).

I'll be over the moon if it works out there's a connection and you can throw some light on the family, or point me in the right direction.

Fingers and toes crossed while waiting eagerly
Jen

Offline claret49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,
On my tree I have: William, bpt 16 May 1769, Blacksmith at St. Cherries, Spreyton, married (Jane)? and died 1845. Children: Samuel(my gggrandfather), John, William,James,Jane,Richard,Sarah,George, Robert and Joseph.
I don't know how accurate this is,.... but a possible?
Phil

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 09 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Certainly sounds like them!  I can't swear to the info I have, as have received some of it via others....  But that's what this is all about.

William's wife, Jane (Unknown), (married c1797) seems to be a mystery in all info I've come across.

William Jnr (missed him originally)  appears to also have been a blacksmith at Viney Tedburn, Crediton, Devon in 1851, aged 55, brn Spreyton,  and married Jane Popham in 1816 Spreyton, Devon.  Had one son that I can so far find, called John.  His wife Jane b Drewsteignton, Devon.

William Snr Snr MAY have married Mary Langmead 1768 in Spreyton, Devon.

In the UK archives I found mention of a 'removal order in 1922 for Jane, wife of William Vigers the younger, Mary 5 and Ann 3 their children to Colebrook', so assumed, incorrectly it seems, that Will snr died and left Jane and the youngest two struggling...  The ages and years match up with the info I have, but begs the question why were they turfed out? Then again, I might have 'lines' crossed - it's happened before.

As for my lot:
John Vigers (ggg grandfather) seems also to be a blacksmith like his dad, married Jemima Way/WEY 1828 in Spreyton, Dev.

Kids:
Elizabeth b 1828 Spreyton, Dev (turning out to be a very elusive after 1861)

Mary b 1831 Spreyton, Dev (gg grandmother) marr John Henry Berry 1862 Marylebone, Middlesex, migrated to New Zealand 1873, then to Melbourne Australia c1890 - according to Mary's death certificate - d 1891 Melb, Aust.  John Henry is proving equally elusive....  Know he was here (Aus) due to daughter's marriage announcement, but yet to find more than that.  He's not buried with his wife, Mary.

John b 1837 Crediton, Dev

William (yet another one....)  b 1840 Crediton, Dev

Emma b 1842 Crediton, Dev.

If you think we can help each other more, please (!) let me know?  And, if you would like this more coherently, I can email or send somehow, what I have (not that it's reams...).

Jen

Offline claret49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen
Just typed out a load and then somehow deleted it!......................... ???................
(Anyway start with a correction! it's Venny, not Viney, Tedburn.)
Willam snr snr married Mary Langmead 12 Jan 1768. His father was John Vigures, married Anne Earle, May 3 1735, Okehampton, Devon. He died 12 Feb 1756.
Still trying to contact my cousin to send me the Vigers Tree which should answer ALL your questions!
On my original message I typed up some recollections from my aunt (now deceased)of the Vigers family at Spreyton..... which has gone!!, may try tomorrow. (One finger typing.)

Phil

Offline jenwren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 09 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

My relationship with technology is definitely a love/hate thing when stuff like that happens!

Thank you for the correction, and the extra information.  Will eagerly await your sharing of your aunt's recollections.... I'm not a fast typist either, and dyslexic on the keyboard, so I empathise sincerely.

Had a bit of luck through another Genes Reunited member with the Berry side of the family, though mostly ancestors and little on my direct mob.  Still, it gives me the line to flesh out a bit and follow.  Elizabeth Berry/Vigers is still a mystery.

Be well and keep calm  :-\

Jen