Author Topic: Von Broembsen and Douglas, Aliwal North  (Read 17063 times)

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Von Broembsen and Douglas, Aliwal North
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Duvina

Good to be in touch. Sady I don't have anything on our grandfather, however, have been able to build your von Broembsen line back to 1741, Germany. Would you like the rest of that line? If so, PM me your email and I will send you what I have. I can also share a picture of Mabel if you would like.

Will also let Margo know that you are in touch  :o)

regards
Jenni

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Duvina

sent you a PM (message) as I see you are new to rootschat and won't be able to do one yet.

Offline dhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jenni
I have the Von Broembsen family tree drawn up by Felix V B in 1974/1976. It goes back to 1265. Interested?
Regards
Duvina

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
YES, please send to me (did you get my email address?).   Margo said that she was going to see what she can find for you regards your grandfather. The information that I got on your family, came from a german historian who was researching what happened to the two brothers when they went to South Africa.

Offline chrismargo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Duvina,  I think it is going to be easy for me to find out.  I think they had a child by the name of Douglas Visser, now his son Deon Visser, still lives in Aliwal North and took over his Dad's business.  He has a sister Annelise, living in Pietermaritzburg

I will contact him through my brother, they are still great friends.

In fact, I think this is the family, they used to call your Gran, (Connie) (Small world) I actually remember her. 

Where are you living now Duvina? Would love to know more about you.

Blessings

Margo

Offline dhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 September 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Margo
Yes you have the right family. Douglas was my dad's youngest sibling. He married Mara and they had 2 children, Deon and Annelise. We visited Aliwal a few years ago and went to the museum to see what we could find out about my grand father. They were very kind, but couldn't tell me much.
We then visited Deon and spoke to him. He knew very little except some family 'myths'. He might have found out more since, so I'd be delighted if you found out anything.
My dad was Adolph Gustav Visser. He left Aliwal High School and went to Stellenbosch where he studied law. He later moved to Pretoria where I was born and grew up. We visited Aliwal every year at Christmas.
My dad was one of 7 children, and Elsie was his cousin. That makes Elsie my first cousin once removed, or something. Anyway, hello cousin.
Did you live in Aliwal? Where are you now? I think your dad farmed outside Aliwal and your mom was a teacher? Sandra married a lawyer?
My husband Ron and I live in Napier in the Overberg. Very quiet little village near Bredasdorp.
Warm wishes
Duvina

Offline chrismargo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 September 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Duvina

Nice to hear from you, thank you too for the information.  I have also contacted Sandra to ask her for information, otherwise the Municipality there should be able to help us.  Let met see what I can do.

Yes my Dad did farm just outside Aliwal, on the farm Avond where "Oupa" Douglas used to live.  My Dad was killed in a light aircraft crash in 1971, near Reddersburg, my Mom was a teacher and later owned a dress shop.  She passed away in 2005.

My Aunt Sandra lives in Gonubie, she has two children, Alan and Denise (Fiveash) both are unmarried.  Karen lives in Cape Town, she has 3 children and 2 grandchildren.

I live in Port Elizabeth, married to Chris Brown.  I have 3 children and 5 grandchildren.  My two brothers Andre and Francois, live in Pietermartizburg and Saldanha respectively.

Jenni Douglas has opened up the family History on the Douglas and von Broembsen side, which is wonderful, so much I didnt know.

Nice chatting to you Duvina.  Will be in touch as soon as I shed some light on the Visser family.

Blessings

Margo

Offline dhy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 September 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Margo
I am so excited about having found you and Jenni. I started doing family tree bits about 10 or more years ago. At that stage I met Louis von Broembsen, son of Stanley and Norah. Louis gave me a copy of the VB family tree. I then went on to find out more about my mom's family.
Things then caught up with me and I lost interest for a while. But now I'm really keen to discover more about my Visser family. I don't know anything about them, except that my gradpa had an unmarried sister called Bessie, who lived in Wellington. His mom was, I think, Anna Roussouw.
I think your dad was a bit older than I am. I was born in 1938. He was such a good looking boy, as were Sandra and Karen. When I was still a teen, Karen did a , for that time, very unusual thing and went on a trip to Europe. We were all in awe. When I read your letter I remembered that your dad was killed in an air crash. I last saw him a number of years before he died and before I had children. Sandra was probably the closest in age to me, so I knew her better than the others.
I was the oldest of the grandchildren, Anthony (2nd oldest grandchild), son of George and Iris, and his younger brother John, lived in Aliwal, so we saw them a lot.
I have 2 children, Gary (born 1965) and Lee Anne (born 1966). I was divorced from my first husband and have been married to Ron Yule for 36 years. He has 2 kids from a previous marriage, so we have 4 children and only 3 grand children. The youngest, Tyler Lee, is 7 and she lives with us. Her parents are divorced and both live in Napier. So does my unmarried daughter Lee.
We are leaving for the KNP tomorrow morning, so I'll be in touch when we return.
This is a very muddled letter, but I think I'm a bit over excited. Calm down when we get back.
Fond regards
Duvina known as Dinky

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 September 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Duvina

Have a good trip. Would you send me an email so that I can get your email? Unfortunantly this particular thread is not private, so I think that we will want to do the rest of our chats via email?

If you go to this link, there is a wikipedia article about the family (in german you will have to select the translate option):  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%B6mbsen_(Adelsgeschlecht)

In the mean time, this is what was shared with me regards your von Bremsen line (I am curious if it matches what was shared with you):

I write a book from a village in germany and there was a monastery. In that monastery many daughters from the broemsen familie lived.
 The parents from Gustav Adolf von Broembsen were Adolph Otto von Broembsen born 12.08.1791 in Luebeck passed away 27.04.1876 in Braunschweig. He was first married with  Louise Amalia Friederike Charlotte von Doering born cal. 1793 in Celle.but they divorced. Then he lived together with auguste  Friederike Ruehlein born 28.01.1814 in Braunschweig. Next week I will search in Braunschweig for that family.
 Adolf Otto von Broembsen and Auguste Friederike Ruehlein had two sons and one daughter
 Hermann August emigrated to südafrika, he was born 18.02.1837 in Braunschweig.
 Gustav Adolf von Broembsen was born 16.12.1841 in Braunschweig and emigrated 1861 too. He married a kriel and they had 15 children I found in the web side from My Heritage.
 Their sister was Marie Anna born 31.05.1839.
 All three children were born before the parents married. The marriage from the parents were 07.07.1849 in Braunschweig