Author Topic: Corbetts  (Read 8447 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corbetts
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 July 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Graveyard in Silvermines, Nenagh Tipperary (headstones)

Josehine Cahalan (nee Corbett)
Ballyluskey Ardcroney; 20/3/2005
----
Martin Corbett; White Walls Nenagh
4/2/1889
wife-Mary;
4/3/1918
their great grandson-Martin Corbett;
11/5/1930 (9)
their son-Pat;
June 1941
his wife-Nora;
Sept 1963
their son-Michael;
Aug 1970
their son-Martin;
June 1957
his wife-Lizzie;
Dec 1974
--------
Daniel Corbett; Knockanpierce Nenagh
13/9/1978 (62)
wife-Winifred;
31/10/1985 (66)
dre-Mary;
25/9/1951 (6 months)
------
John Corbett; O Rahilly st Nenagh
6/2/1967 (80)
wife-Margaret;
26/11/1967 (82)
Nora Kelly; 10/10/1941
Kate Mc Cormack; 4/1/1952
-------
James Corbett; Upperchurch & London
9/12/1996 (68)
==============
Jack

Offline karen teague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 July 14 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi , my dad lived in Camden London early 1930s with his granddad William henry Corbett and granny Louisa annie Corbett, nee Johnson, he remembers him having a soft irish accent, and that he came from tipperery.

Offline DawnEllen78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 May 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
I believe that the listing of headstones above are also relatives of mine.  My grandmother, Ellen Josephine Corbett was the daughter of Patrick and Nora Corbett (Gleason). 

As far as I'm told, she was the youngest of 18 and some sibling names are John, James, Martin, Mary Kate, Patrick and Anne.  Looks as though by census, they may have lived on Whitewalls Street in Nenagh at one time.

I would love to connect with someone who has more information on the family.  Ellen came to the US to live with brother John in Boston around 1925 (?).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 May 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DawnEllen78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 May 16 18:46 BST (UK) »
WOW!  Thank you so much for that response.  This is definitely my grandmother and her family.  Perhaps the large number of children were from another time?  I guess I'll be finding that information out as I go along in my journey of her ancestry! :)

I also believe that there were more children and that they were already gone from the home when this census would have been done?  My mother remembers her saying that she was the youngest of 18.  Her brother was already in the US when she came here at age 13 and sponsored her.  He was older and already married at the time.

Offline karen teague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 May 16 21:06 BST (UK) »
HI there, my greatgrandad was william henry Corbett, his father was also WH  from ball alley lane in Nenargh,  he was a shoemaker he came to england in the late 19thcent, and after his frist wife mary condon died he married
elizabthe Urling, they had another William Henry who married a  Louisa Annie Johnson in Camden London, they had my granny Henrietta Corbett in 1906, and she married Albert Edward Teague in 1927, when the had my dad also Albert EDward Teague,   Could this be the same family.  My dad remembered an uncle who was a boxer in america called gentleman Jim.  HOpe this of help.  Best wishes  Karen Missen  nee Teague

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 May 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
... I also believe that there were more children and that they were already gone from the home when this census would have been done?  My mother remembers her saying that she was the youngest of 18.  Her brother was already in the US when she came here at age 13 and sponsored her.  He was older and already married at the time.

I'm afraid that the family story might be a bit confused here. If you look again at the 1911 census link I posted earlier and click on the box 'show all information' (or look at the scanned image itself) you will see that Nora was married 12 years (c1899) and had had 5 children all of who were still living. The 5 children are all in the household that night- Martin, Mary Kate, Patrick, Anne, James. Your grandmother Ellen was born the following year in 1912 making her child #6. Searching the Irish Genealogy site for civil records (births, marriages, deaths) I found the births of Ellen and 4 older siblings which fits with the census.

Will have a look for parents' marriage and Martin's birth in a minute.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 May 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
Parish registers for Nenagh are only up until 1880s. Not recent enough for your grandmother's siblings but useful for tracing her parents, etc.
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0804

Marriage of Patrick Corbett & Norah Gleeson 14 Nov.1898
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/793eb36942844

Possible birth for Martin in 1899-
http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/f20b931601477