Author Topic: Hawkers in Ireland & Scotland  (Read 12074 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkers in Ireland & Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 May 07 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Nina

Leave with me. Cos need to trwal through and will come back to you soon! Many thanks for offer of help!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 May 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Nina

Had a look. Dad is Peter McGovern who married a Jane Liddell (Her father was a soldier - James and her mother Jane McIntryre).

They had several children some of whom I have birth certs for. Jean McGovern was born in Falkirk - 11 Jan but her birth cert does not give place or date of parents marriage.

Other children were Peter - no birth cert
Catherine - No birth cert
John - No birth cert
James - No birth cert
Daniel - No birth cert (he's my gt gt grandfather)

All were born in Falkirk area and moved to Paisley - I suspect because of the thread mills.

If you can help would be very grateful

Thanks

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 May 07 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann,

In order to find the births of the children, I need to know their approximate year of birth, as with such common names, there will be more than a few listed at Scotland's People.  An approximate age will help narrow the search, so please post as much information as you can, so that I can help you more.  Have you any of them on the censuses?  Where were they living in 1881, for example?

Nina

CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 May 07 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Nina

No luck at all on the census front.

I know from later censuses where the children are married with their own families that they were all born in Falkirk. All the certs and stuff I got from Scotland's People.

Jean McGovern who I dio have a birth cert for was born on 11/1/1859 in Falkirk
Peter - have no birth cert but born around 1845 going by age on marriage cert. He amrried in Falkirk (Agnes McCormick) but he died in Paisley 1905
Catherine again using marriage cert was born 1846ish. She married William Hart in 1873
John born around 1851. Marriued Margaret Fearns in Glasgow (Blythswood)
James born about 1869. Married Rebecca Young in Paisley
Daniel - who is my guy born about 1859. His surname on his death cert was McGavin. he married an Insabella Bisland in Paisley.

They all pretty well worked in the thread mills

That's as much as I've been able to find to date certs wise cos of variants in surname spellings. McGovan is another one that crops up.

Any light you can shed would be great.

Thanks

Ann

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 May 07 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Looking at the results at Scotland's People for James born about 1869 gives about 15 possibilities if we use wildcards to search and search the whole of Scotland.

I searched using McG*v*n, James born between 1868-1870.

However, I have searched a lot for you at Familysearch.org and can find no birth records for the children.  So I then looked under Liddle and there are a couple of possibilities, children born illegitimately to a Jane or Jean Liddle.  It is possible that Peter and Jane never married at all, which will not help your search, unfortunately.

Still looking....

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline sylvia1964

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 July 07 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Your Peter was in Falkirk 1841, it looks like they were both lodging at the Back Raw, there. 1851 & 1861 they are all together. He wasn't with the family in 1871 Jane - 50 , Jane -13 , John -21 & Daniel -15 ,they were at 110 Craighall Road, Maryhill.
Also there was a Daniel Liddle b.13/8/1856 to a Jean Liddle in Falkirk.
The Back Raw in Falkirk was a densly populated area in the early 1800's. With houses all sub- divided to house as much people as possible.
Bradley, Close, Duffy, Maxwell

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 July 07 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

Thanks so much. Will look into this. Had put it to one side cos tearing me hair out.

Wouldn't surprise me if they never married to be honest! Seems to be a trait on that side of family!

Cheers

Ann

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 30 December 07 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

After several months of picking this up and getting frustrated, putting it down and picking it up again, am convinced that the Daniel that Sylvia found is my gt gt grandfather. Perhaps Jean/Jane was scared of officialdom and registered the first one born after 1855 properly. Alas will never know.

I can find no marriage for Peter McGovern to Jean/Jane Liddell/Liddle etc. Thought he may have redeemed himself later and married her after 1855 ince the kids HAD to be registered but nope.

Hey ho! Back to the to be looked at later pile. But many thanks to all who helped me with this one.

Best Wishes

Ann

Offline Joe McG

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Ann,
Just joined and spotted your original post in 2007 - Did you ever have any luck with this search.
My tree traces McGovern from north west Cavan - Tullytrasna. We have 2 x Peter McGoverns - one note I have recorded from a conversation isas follows:He worked with sister Brigid - shops in Ralston, Paisley, Scotland.

This Peters father was Bernard McGovern (b abt 1850)and  m to Mary McHugh
This Peters GGrandfather was Edward McGovern m to Mary McCauley

Kind Regards,
Joe

Died young.Never marrried.