Author Topic: Morgan's family LLanybydder / Llanfihangle Rhos y Corn  (Read 2330 times)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Morgan's family LLanybydder / Llanfihangle Rhos y Corn
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 20:58 GMT (UK) »
For several years I have been trying to find the birth of my Gt Grandmother Mary Morgans. She was born abt 1830. She was the daughter of Morgan Morgans and Sarah ....... . I have been unable to find the marriage of Morgan Morgans to Sarah. I found what appears to be the Morgans family on Family search a few years ago but the dates of birth did not match the census details. I have tried to find this again on Family Search but have not been successful. Sarah's father was Evan Thomas and the only marriage I can find for a Morgan Morgans and Sarah is in 1816 and this marriage is to Sarah Evans which could be feasible. If anyone has information about this family I would be very grateful .

Margaret Morgan b  1817 married Daniel Jones
Thomas Morgans b 1819
Ann Morgans b 1825
David Morgans b 1827
Mary Morgans b 1831 married David Thomas
Thomas Morgans b 1834
Evan Morgans b 1835 married Mary Jones
John Morgans b 1836
Sarah Morgans b 1838

Many thanks
MEN

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan's family LLanybydder / Llanfihangle Rhos y Corn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 13 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Men,
          Perhaps if you were to include some place-names for your relatives it might jog a few memories or make them easier for others to find.
                 Good luck,
                          Pinot

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Pinot - good idea. The main occupation of the 'Morgans' seems to have been farming so I shall post some of the farm names - this has certainly worked for me in the past. The one problem I seem to be faced with is that the districts are in Carmarthenshire but registration districts are often Lampeter,Cardiganshire so I shall post on Cardiganshire too.

Thank you again for your interest,
MEN

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Men,

Is this the marriage of Morgan Morgans and Sarah Evans at Llanybyther Parish Church:

Morgan Morgans, bachelor, of this parish and Sarah Evans, Spinster of this parish
Married in this Church by Banns on 21st November, 1816 with consent of parents

Sarah signed but Morgan couldn't write as was by x mark
In the presence of Thomas Evans, Gefnffordd and John James, Pwllrynwyd.

There is a possible baptism for Mary (I say possible as it was about 15 years after birth - saying that though I know that a few of my relatives were fifteen when they were baptised / christened)

Feb 25th 1845 Mary daughter of Morgan and Sarah Morgan, Cwm yr Esker (Esgair) in the Parish of Llansadwrn - Morgan was a farmer. 

(Saying that though - Llansadwrn itself is about 10 miles or so from Llanybydder as I call on the back road....... )

I found the following baptised / christened at Llanfihangel Rhos y Corn:   All were children of Morgan & Sarah Morgans (Morgan shown as farmer) living at Llettyllwynde, Llanybyther
Margaret Morgans baptised: 14 OCT 1817;
Thomas Morgans baptised: 25 DEC 1819; Died aged 6yrs and buried 02 JAN 1826;
Ann Morgans baptised: 17 APR 1825;
David Morgans baptised: 08 APR 1827.
Couldn't find any of the others baptised.  But Morgan Morgans will of 03 JAN 1840 names all the children and alll were under 21 except for Margaret who was 23.  The others named as follows:  Four sons: David, Thomas, Evan & John;  his other three daughters:  Anne, Mary and Sall (Sarah); and his beloved wife Sarah.
This can be found on the National Library of Wales website (let me know if you want details).   Morgan Morgans died on 14th January 1840 and was buried on 17th January aged 79 address Llettyllwynde, Llanybyther.   There was also a David Morgans aged 29 (?) buried 10 March 1855 also of same address.  Also a little Morgan Morgans aged 2 yrs buried 16 Feb 1842 also of the same address. 

Sarah Morgans remarried on 10th June 1840 to John Davies (he was shown as bachelor and she was a widow) both living at Llettyllwynde, Llanybyther.  Her father is shown as Evan Thomas and John's father named as Daniel Jones.

1841 Census shows Sarah & John living at Llettyllwynde along with her children but all showing as having DAVIES surname.  On 1851 Census at same address and shows Sarah & John with all the children showing as MORGANS surname, and shown as step-children to head of family.

Hope this is of some help. :)
Regards, Alltcafan

EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 January 13 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alltcafan,
Thank you so much for all the trouble you have gone to. I already had most of the information and have a copy of Morgan Morgans Will. I have tried to find the remaining childrens baptisms but without success. Morgan was 79 years old at his death in 1840 so I don't think that the marriage you found is relevant as he would not have needed the consent of his parents! The Morgans farm Llettyllwynde, Llanybydder, seemed to be the family farm and there are other farms around that the children also farmed. I have Sarah's 2nd marriage to John Davies and it was on this marriage certificate that I found that Sarah's father was Evan Thomas - there is a death of Evan Thomas Llettllwynde in 1820. Sarah was much younger than Morgan - by about 40 years if I remember correctly!
Again many thanks for all your help
MEN

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan's family LLanybydder / Llanfihangel Rhos y Corn
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 January 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Men,

I am sorry that I couldn't have given you any new information.   

Yes, I had realised that Morgan was a lot older that Sarah, as I had a made a note of his age at burial, but it may well be that when he married,  it was Sarah that was under 21 and she was the one that needed parents' consent to marry (according to 1841 & 1861 she would have been born 1801; but 1851 shows her as being aged 57 (or transcribed as that) but when I looked at the Census it could be aged 51....... 

Anyway, I shall keep you in mind and if I find anything on your ancestors, I'll let you know........ :)

Regards, Alltcafan
EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn