Author Topic: Robert Williams a Tantalizing Possibility help request  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert Williams a Tantalizing Possibility help request
« on: Saturday 15 March 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone :)

First of all my ongoing thanks to everyone here. I have made tremendous gains in tracing my family's history. so far I have confidently traced my family back to Robert Williams 1834- (death: possibly 1869). However, I am hoping to push my lineage back farther on this, my  namesake's branch.

I subscribe to ancestry.ca so have extreme confidence due to a variety of sources identifying my great great grandfather as:

Robert Williams
Birth abt 1804 in Llanfihangel, Caernarvonshire, Wales
Death: before 1871 ( I have him on the 1861 Census at: Rhiw, Caernarvonshire, Wales )
His children many baptised at Church of St Trillo, Llandrillo yn Rhos Dec 28 1843

So far I have no parentage for him. However, I was doing an internet search the other day and I came across the following on another genealogical site:

Robert Williams
Born: 1 Mar 1804 of, Saethon, Llanfihangel Bachellaeth, Llanbedrog, Caernarvonshire, Wales
Died: 1869  source: Wales. Welsh Medieval Database Primarily of Nobility and Gentry.

The Llanfihangel location and birth and death dates certainly fit. However I have no corroborating evidence that this is in fact my Robert Williams.

His parents are listed on this site as:

Father:  David Williams,   
b. 4 Sep 1754, of, Saethon, Llanfihangel Bachellaeth, Llanbedrog, Caernarvonshire, Wales
d. 28 Mar 1823

Mother: Jane Jones, of, Caernarfon, Llanbeblig, Caernarvonshire, Wales
d. Yes, date unknown

And it goes on from there back to the 1600s. If this is indeed my family line then it saves me countless hours of research.

The Question: How can I determine if I have the right family?

Robert married Johanna Hurly in Ireland in 1834 (Cork & Ross) but returned to Wales in the early 1840s of note, many of their children bear names in common with the siblings of the Robert Williams in this other tree; eg., John, Anne, Margaret, David, Wynne (my grandfather's middle name)

Any and all help is appreciated here. Is there a good chance that my Robert and the one described on the other tree are one and the same?

Rachel (in Canada)
Williams-Thomas-Harris-Collins-Owen-Davies-Doran-Nichols-Ambrose-Kilbee-Mott

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Williams a Tantalizing Possibility help request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 March 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »
The Williams family pedigree is in 'Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire Familes with their collateral branches in Denbighshire, Merionethshire and other parts' by J. E. Griffith, under Castelldeudraeth (Castell Deudraeth) on p317

see also:-

http://wbo.llgc.org.uk/en/s-WILL-BRO-1800.html

https://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~tf/williams.html

http://www.archiveswales.org.uk/anw/get_collection.php?inst_id=1&coll_id=981&expand=

It includes Robert Williams, but gives no marriage, although it has those for his siblings. Could this be because he had gone to Ireland?

I can't find a will for his father, although Ancestry lists a codicil to his brother, David, in 1869.

Griffith also has a pedigree for Saethon, which has a note on how it came into the Williams family. Also many references in other trees.

David

Offline Rachel Williams

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Williams a Tantalizing Possibility help request
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 March 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you DCB :)

All the census records I have for Robert list Llanfihangel, Caernarvonshire, Wales as place of birth. The added detail of  Saethon, Llanfihangel Bachellaeth, Llanbedrog, Caernarvonshire, Wales comes from this other source so it does not preclude him.

On all documents, children's marriage licences and census records list his occupation as "Principal Coast Officer of Customs"

I also found a baptism record that may be him:

Name:   Robert Williams
Event Type:   Baptism
Father:   William Williams
Mother:   Madlen
Baptism Date:   7 Feb 1804
Baptism Place:   Pwllheli, Carnarvonshire, Wales
Denomination:   Independent
Piece Title:   Piece 3485: Pwllheli, Penlan Chapel, and Llangian, Capel Newydd (Independent), 1791-1837

However, Llanfihangel is not mentioned and I suspect Robert was C of E.

He was married in Cork, Ireland so that may explain his marital status.

At any rate I will check the links you provided.

Much thanks...

Rachel :)

Williams-Thomas-Harris-Collins-Owen-Davies-Doran-Nichols-Ambrose-Kilbee-Mott