Author Topic: Maitland - Henderson m. 1881 need some help  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
  • Where is he? Where's the oul crater hiding?
    • View Profile
Maitland - Henderson m. 1881 need some help
« on: Friday 01 August 14 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas Maitland married Sarah Anne Henderson on 25 September 1881 at St. Anne's, Parish Of Belfast.

Marriage record states: Groom's father was Thomas Maitland; Bride's father was John Henderson.
Groom was noted a Riviter on marriage record;

Thomas birth date as noted in family bible : 25 February 1863
Sarah's birth date as noted in family bible: 4 August 1860

In June 1882 they were in Govan, Lanarkshire where their first son was born (Thomas -27 June 1882)

They appear in the Scotland 1891 census where both Thomas and Sarah are noted as being born in Ireland.  From there forward I have all their information.

The family bible was apparently started by this pair and there is no background information about either of them. They moved back to the Belfast area by the 1901 census and Thomas was a shoemaker living at 4 Hillview Street. He passed in 1908. Sarah in 1938.

Also noted, Thomas' father was a carpenter and Sarah's was a farmer. Son Thomas eventually became a carpenter and worked on the Titanic.

I would really appreciate some help in getting confirmed birth records on this pair and even further back.
Maitland- Belfast, Newtonards, Lisburn, Comber
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland
Laird- Kilcronaghan Parish, & Belfast, Ireland; Bellshill, Motherwell, Scotland
Rodgers & McConnell-Newtonards & Comber

Offline vronlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maitland - Henderson m. 1881 need some help
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
no idea if this is related but might be worth following further . another maitland birth in Belfast right era

Eliza Maitland b 5 Jun 1867 Belfast, Antrim daughter of Thomas Maitland & Jane Kennedy

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thank vronlady, but that would only help if there were further family records of that particular Maitland family. I have no clue if Thomas (1863) had siblings and have not found a record of his father, Thomas, employed in any town street directories prior to Thomas (1863)'s marriage. The real kicker is the notation in the family bible of John Henderson (50 years safe with Jesus) and no date attached or any further clue. Thomas and Sarah's second son was John b. 12 June 1891, Govan.

So based on naming patterns, they followed the rules. First son after his father and second son after hers. No further children born to them.
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 August 14 08:58 BST (UK) »
I suspect you have a family reason for being on the Co Down board rather than Co Antrim which has St Annes Cathedral, Belfast?  Thomas could well be a descendent of  Adam Maitland, Hillsborough, who leased the townland of Magheratimpany (Magheradrool parish) in 1694 from Matthew Forde DR* 9 /10/1970T see Ros Davies Co Down website ie http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies which I shall reduce to RD. She has a map of Magheradrool civil parish which contains Ballynahinch town, around which Hillsborough Downpatrick and Clough are very roughly just over 10 miles away the same distance away. As is or indeed Lurgan Co Armagh from Hillsborough. 

Trawling around I found no Maitlands living in Hillsborough in farming or among the freeholders on PRONI {there are over 40 listed}. I came across a John Maitland b Co Down in 1826 in one of the three websites below., who could be the John who’s son Thomas Maitland either married Margaret Ann[e] Bowers or Byers, or she is the same person. Three websites carry details
www.ancestryireland.com UHF, emeraldancestors EA, familysearch.org.FS  Problems arise with the use of districts which might be registration areas rather than exact locations eg
EA has the correct spouse names as from Lisburn Co Down which I think would include Hillsborough and Blaris parishes. 

Coming back to a Thomas Maitland either married Margaret Ann[e] Bowers or Byers in 1852  {this need sorting out big time}
Possible Children
{Thomas Maitland b 1863 from the bible} FH has Thomas Maitland Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 birth:   1864   death:   October 1908 / December 1908   Belfast, Ireland
Elizabeth Mitland b 21 Jul 1866  Hillsborough familysearch.org, parents mother Margaret Ann Byers father Thomas Mitland familysearch.org
Alexander Maitland  11 Dec 1870 Hillsborough father Thomas maitland, mother Margaret Bowers

Other possible connected findings
FH has many to follow up for maitlands in Ireland
EA also has a death for a Thomas Maitland in 1884 Co Down familysearch.org has a probate 1884 The widow is Margaret Ann Maitland. But there is also a death of Thomas Maitland in Hillsborough b1816-d1884

In the Belfast 1880 street directory the only Maitland in the alphabetical index is Maitland, Frazer. E., librarian, 365 Shankhill Road, of my old library the LinenHall Library. If you use www. lennonwylie.co.uk it has a different index so more maitlands appear for 1880 but no Thomas index is

from  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/MahMak.htm#mai
Thomas   MAITLAND   .   Hillsborough   son of John Maitland ; married Margaret Anne Byers 29 Oct 1852   CR
Thomas MAITLAND   .   Hillsborough   husband of Margaret Bowers; father of Alexander b. 11 Dec 1870   CR

VronLady contribution Eliza Maitland
Birth Date:
5 Jun 1867
Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Father's Name:
Thomas Maitland
Mother's name:
Jane Kennedy

AS Belfast Victorian population exploded little farmers in the villages surrounding Belfast got swallowed up.  I didnt search enough for carpenters. So have run out of time
Hoping something is of help, but your fly needs swatting something terrible!
JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 August 14 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Grandma Anne,

We are having problems with your email notifications, can you check your private messages for some more details please.

Regards

Sarah :)
problem now fixed :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 17:57 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU -  for all the lovely information. I have been away from this group for a couple of years due to family issues related to my Mother's passing. Everything has been updated now and I shall take up the torch once again in trying to sort through the hints and clues to the past chain of bones that made me. And thank you to the friend who kindly sent me a hint that there was activity on this post that I had neglected...

I suspect you have a family reason for being on the Co Down board rather than Co Antrim which has St Annes Cathedral, Belfast?  Thomas could well be a descendent of  Adam Maitland, Hillsborough, who leased the townland of Magheratimpany (Magheradrool parish) in 1694 from Matthew Forde DR* 9 /10/1970T see Ros Davies Co Down website ie http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies which I shall reduce to RD. She has a map of Magheradrool civil parish which contains Ballynahinch town, around which Hillsborough Downpatrick and Clough are very roughly just over 10 miles away the same distance away. As is or indeed Lurgan Co Armagh from Hillsborough. 

Trawling around I found no Maitlands living in Hillsborough in farming or among the freeholders on PRONI {there are over 40 listed}. I came across a John Maitland b Co Down in 1826 in one of the three websites below., who could be the John who’s son Thomas Maitland either married Margaret Ann[e] Bowers or Byers, or she is the same person. Three websites carry details
www.ancestryireland.com UHF, emeraldancestors EA, familysearch.org.FS  Problems arise with the use of districts which might be registration areas rather than exact locations eg
EA has the correct spouse names as from Lisburn Co Down which I think would include Hillsborough and Blaris parishes. 

Coming back to a Thomas Maitland either married Margaret Ann[e] Bowers or Byers in 1852  {this need sorting out big time}
Possible Children
{Thomas Maitland b 1863 from the bible} FH has Thomas Maitland Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958 birth:   1864   death:   October 1908 / December 1908   Belfast, Ireland
Elizabeth Mitland b 21 Jul 1866  Hillsborough familysearch.org, parents mother Margaret Ann Byers father Thomas Mitland familysearch.org
Alexander Maitland  11 Dec 1870 Hillsborough father Thomas maitland, mother Margaret Bowers

Other possible connected findings
FH has many to follow up for maitlands in Ireland
EA also has a death for a Thomas Maitland in 1884 Co Down familysearch.org has a probate 1884 The widow is Margaret Ann Maitland. But there is also a death of Thomas Maitland in Hillsborough b1816-d1884

In the Belfast 1880 street directory the only Maitland in the alphabetical index is Maitland, Frazer. E., librarian, 365 Shankhill Road, of my old library the LinenHall Library. If you use www. lennonwylie.co.uk it has a different index so more maitlands appear for 1880 but no Thomas index is

from  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/MahMak.htm#mai
Thomas   MAITLAND   .   Hillsborough   son of John Maitland ; married Margaret Anne Byers 29 Oct 1852   CR
Thomas MAITLAND   .   Hillsborough   husband of Margaret Bowers; father of Alexander b. 11 Dec 1870   CR

VronLady contribution Eliza Maitland
Birth Date:
5 Jun 1867
Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Father's Name:
Thomas Maitland
Mother's name:
Jane Kennedy

AS Belfast Victorian population exploded little farmers in the villages surrounding Belfast got swallowed up.  I didnt search enough for carpenters. So have run out of time
Hoping something is of help, but your fly needs swatting something terrible!
JimG

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
Going back to your 1st post-

What are the occupations listed for the fathers? Who were the 2 witnesses?

The marriage shows the residences of the bride and groom at the time of the marriage but this may not be where they were from or where the families lived. At that time many people moved into Belfast for work so either or both Thomas or Sarah could have been from outside the area which won't make them any easier to find.

It's also possible that parents or siblings of either could have moved over to Scotland before or after they went so worth keeping an eye out in Govan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 19:16 BST (UK) »
From Marriage certificate: (Lord, help me read the writing)
1881 Marriage Solemnized at ST. Anne's in the Parish of Belfast in the Diocese of Comer (?)
NO. 167 25th September 1881, Thomas Maitland, 21, Bachelor, 10 May. W. Belfast, (father) Thomas Maitland, Carpenter
Sarah Anne Henderson, 22, Spinster, Mill Worker, 10. May. W. Belfast , (father) John Henderson, Labourer

Married in the Parish Church  According tothe Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of Ireland after Banns, by me, M. Beattie
This Marriage was solemnized between us, Thomas Maitland (his signature) Sarah Anne (her mark X) Henderson in the Presence of us, William John Lasky Sarah (her mark X) Hogg

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
I should note that the 1891 Scotland Census lists Thomas, Sarah and their first born son Thomas in Govan and both Thomas and Sarah Anne were noted as being born in Ireland.