Author Topic: Kelly/McGarry  (Read 11128 times)

Offline A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly/McGarry
« on: Friday 15 September 06 16:08 BST (UK) »
Josephine Kelly, born in 1920, District Littleton, County Tipperary, North Riding. On her birth certificate it has the office of Thurles. (My Grandmother)

I know her father was called, Patrick Kelly and her mother was Alice. (My Great Grandparents)

So far I know she had a sister called, Kathleen and a brother called, Tommy, but I know there was more siblings.

Josephine (Josie) went on to marry, Timothy McGarry, but unfortunately I do not have the dates.

Timothy McGarry (my Grandfather) lived in Killenaule, Tipperary. He was born in 1910.

Together they went on to have three children, William Francis McGarry (Billy), Alice and Patrick.

I know Josephine attended The Littleton National School.

Any information on them would be so greatly appreciated!
Do they ring any bells with anyone?

I have been desperately trying to find out more about them, but to no avail.

Kind regards to you all,
and I hope you all find out what you are looking for also,
A.

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly/McGarry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 September 06 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hello.

There are a few McGarry listed in the Ireland phone book
http://159.134.203.172/search.asp?source=GP

May well be worth a brief letter to each and see what if
any result you get!!

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 September 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Found this site, looks of interest. CLick on the 'Little bit of history' too, it might give an idea of the places etc.

http://www.esatclear.ie/~bannon/

I think 'Littleton' might equate to 'Bally Beg' (the Irish for 'little town', so look that up in your searches too.

And look at this:
http://www.cmcrp.net/Tipperary/Griffith37.htm

(see explanatory article contained in this site, if 'Griffiths valuation' is unfamiliar to you).

Good luck!
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 September 06 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mike and Mags,

Thank you so much!

Mike: I have looked at the directory and found some leads. Thank you for the link!

Mags: My family and I are so happy! At last we have found our family name on a official list!!

Hopefully now with some more research I will be finally able, to add them to my family tree! Where they all belong!

Thank you again for your kindness.

Angela.
xx

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 September 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Angela,
Be aware that Griffiths valuation was carried out between 1848 and 1864, so people listed in it were obviously old enough to hold/lease land- therefore making any Kellys at least two generations older than your great-grandparents.
But, if the family stayed in the same townland over the years, no reason why these Kellys can't be connected to yours.

The marriage certificate for Josephine's parents might be your next step - apply to the same office ie  Thurles, where her birth cert. came from. This should give you more clues.

Do you know about the Irish naming patterns, ie the first son born was usually named after his father's father - so your Josephine kelly's brother Tommy could have been named after his dad Patrick Kelly's father - Thomas Kelly?
You say there were other siblings; you could try to find the 1911 census for the family. If Josephine had older siblings they might be listed. You have the townland, and you have the parent's names; you don't know Tommy's age, do you? Was he born before 1911?

It would be worthwhile emailing the owner of the 'Littleton' website I gave you yesterday, he might have lots of local info that would be useful.

Cheers
Mags
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 06 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mags

I have just tried to email that website you gave me, (Littleton) but it keeps coming back as failed! (such a shame because it looks like excatly what I would have needed)

You also mentioned the 1911 census, I hope I'm not being a pain, but, Do you know how or where I can access it?

My Grandfathers date of birth was 1910, and from what you have told me about the Irish naming patterns, my Great Grandfather on the McGarry side, must have been, William McGarry, because my father is their eldest born, and he is William McGarry!

If I am lucky, I might be able to find them on the 1911 census, and my Grandfather, Timothy McGarry might just be on it.

Again I can't thank you enough in helping me!

Love to you,
Angela.
x

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 06 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again Angela,
Sorry you couldn't reach the website owner, you could maybe try googling for other contacts in the Littleton area.
If you look at the Irish townland index on
www.thecore.com/seanruad
you can get a list of all the townlands in the Thurles Poor Law Union for instance, which will give you an idea of the place names near Littleton.
The other thing of great use would be a map of the area - the Discovery Series, produced by the Ordnance Survey of Ireland, are brilliant.

As for the census, only two complete censuses are available, the 1901 and the 1911. Both of these could be had on microfilm from your local Family History Library (Latter Day Saints) - if there is one near to you, not knowing where you live or anything!
Another possibility is to contact the Local Studies section of the Thurles Library and enquire  about extracts of the census being sent to you (I did this for my own  ancestors in south Tipperary, before I realised that the Family History LIbrary near my home could order any microfilm).

William McGarry could well be the name of your great grandfather - but be a bit cautious; the naming pattern seems fairly consistent, but there are variations (my great grandfather's children for example, the first son was named after the mother's father, the second son after the father's father).

Civil registration began in Ireland in 1864, so you should be able to find the marriage cert for Josephine's parents, and hopefully if the ages of bride and groom are correct on the certificate, you might be able to track down the birth certificate for Josephine's father and mother once you know her maiden name from the marriage cert.

http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm

(Looks like the local registrar's office for the North RIding of co.Tipperary is at Nenagh).
Hope this much helps, and let us know if you discover anything exciting!

Mags
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 September 06 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mags,

How do words explain, how much you have helped me?

I can't thank you enough for your time, and kindness!

I have managed to order a census return for 1911, and finally found my Great Grandparents, Patrick Kelly, and Alice Kelly!

It also shows their two first born sons!, Patrick and Thomas!

My next step is indeed, ordering Patrick and Alice's wedding certificate, just as you advised!

Your knowledge on this matter is so appreciated!

Thank you so much!

Love to you,
Angela.
xxxxxx 

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 September 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Angela,
Fantastic! I'm so pleased you have found something.
You're very welcome, and thank you for sounding so polite and friendly.
Good luck with your research in the future. Do you still have the census film (or did you just ask for the entry relevant to your family?) I only ask because, if you do still have access to the film, it would be a good idea to make a note of every mention of Kelly, whether you think they belong to you or not. Indeed, if the townland isn't too large, make a note of as many families as you can.
This is because you may find in months or years to come that you find other members of the family, and you will say to yourself 'oh I wish I'd noted such and such down when I had the census film' - I've just done the very same thing myself.
It was very much the case that everyone knew everyone else in the area (this happens nowadays still in rural areas), and so often you find that there is some sort of connection between families that don't seem obvious at first.

Anyway, best of luck!

Mags

PS Where do you live, are you in England? I'm in Dorset.
Fitzgerald - ditto