Author Topic: Thomas Wellington  (Read 2807 times)

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Thomas Wellington
« on: Wednesday 13 November 13 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Wellington, b Borris, Thurles 1822/32, lived Templemore.
Married firstly to Bridget Cormack c1858-60, birth and marriage place unknown.
Children,  Mary 1860, John 1862, Daniel 1864, Patrick 1867 and Sarah 1870, all born Templemore.

Thomas remarried in 1876 to Mary Maher from Thurles. In 1901 and 1911 Census living in Mary Street, Templemore with wife Mary and nephew Peter who was born Birr Kings Co.

Thomas' first daughter Mary was married to my ggrandfather and I would like to discover a little more on her family if at all possible. Are any of these names in your family tree?

Sio

BEVAN, Cambridge, New York
CORBETT, DUNNE, WILLINGTON, Tipperary
LYNCH, Tipperary, Dublin, New York
CARROLL, Tipperary,  Limerick
CONNERY,ELLIS,GUERIN,HINCHY,HUMPHRIES,McMAHON,SHEEHY,TAYLOR,WELSH/WALSH,  Limerick
CONLISK, DALY, DAVIN, FLANAGAN,  Kilconla, Galway
BROWN, Tyrone
HANNON, MOORE, TOTTEN,  Antrim
McLERNON /McALERNON, CREANEY, DONNELLY ,  Antrim, Down, Armagh

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 November 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
had a quick look for you, but all the children of both marriages seem to be coming up under the name Willington, rather than Wellington, just to clarify before looking further, thanks Ben

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 November 13 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Ben.

The surname has been recorded as both Wellington and Willington but I'm tending to go with Wellington for the following reasons.

1901 Census has Wellington listed but signed as Willington by enumerator.
1911 Census has Wellington listed throughout.
All children born to Thomas and first wife Bridget have name recorded as Wellington.
Daughter Mary married in England (1886) and her maiden name is recorded as Wellington in the church register and marriage cert.
The name Wellington is recorded on Birth cert of above Mary's children, one who married in the States (1908) and  lists her mother's maiden name as Wellington on marriage record.

Also, I could not find any children born to Thomas and second wife Mary using either version of the surname and 1911 Census states they had no children. Can you tell me where you found children for this marriage?

Sio
CONNERY,ELLIS,GUERIN,HINCHY,HUMPHRIES,McMAHON,SHEEHY,TAYLOR,WELSH/WALSH,  Limerick
BROWN, Tyrone

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 November 13 21:22 GMT (UK) »
hello Sio, I was looking at the births listed on Familysearch.org for Wellington in Templemore, Tipperary, it had the children of Thomas Willington and Bridget Cormac listed for Child Sarah Willington born Templemore 6th of June 1870,,,,,,,and child Daniel Willington born Templemore 30th November 1864,,,,,,,,,,,,it also listed for Templemore the child of Tom Willington and Bridget Brennan as Child Patrick born 18th of March 1867

on the site I.F.H.F.  it listed under Church Baptism Thomas Willington 1839 Tipperary

Church Baptism Thomas Wellington 1696 Derry

Church Baptism Thomas Wellington 1826 Antrim

Church Baptism Thomas Wellington 1844 Tipperary

Church Baptism Thomas Wellsely Wellington 1846

Church Marriage Thomas Wellington 1860 Tipperary

Civil Marriage  Thomas Willington 1870 Tipperary

hope some of this helps, Ben

Offline sio59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 November 13 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Ben. Am going to contact Tipp Heritage Centre regarding the Bridget Brennan record- have found in the past that  occasionally a name has been entered incorrectly so perhaps this is the case for this record.

Sio
BROWN, Tyrone