Author Topic: Hall/Stewart help please.  (Read 11390 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hall/Stewart help please.
« on: Tuesday 20 October 09 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage of Thomas Hall, (Irish) age 23,  to Eliza Jane Stewart, (Irish) age 24, at St Mary's Presbyterian Church, Toronto on 15 January 1858, (York County). The Stewarts and Halls were from Monaghan Ireland.

After that nothing!

Can anyone advise on (a) Where to look to try and find when they arrived in Canada?  and (b) Where to look for births for Thomas and Eliza please?

Another snippet is the marriage of Eliza Jane Stewart's brother William James Stewart also in York county on 7 June 1860.

So I have my Thomas Hall, son of Matthew Hall and Hannah Lyons and 4 other names..Eliza Jane Stewart, William James Stewart, their father John Stewart and their mother Elizabeth Martin.

William James Stewart married Ph(o)ebe Adams,  daughter of George Adams and Ruth Manillock (Manllock).

I would be very grateful for help on tracing Thomas and Eliza Jane, thank you.

Moderator comment: images (screenshots) removed.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hall/Stewart help please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 00:04 BST (UK) »
I've found the likes of this  http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/1871-ontario/001016-119.01-e.php?sisn_id_nbr=50311  but where can I get details of household members?

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I believe the 1871 census is by index only.  I'm sure someone will advise if I am incorrect.

My ancestors started arriving in Canada in the 1830's.  I've only found two immigration records, and they were for the 1860's.  So, I would assume that "early" immigration records are difficult to come by.

Do you need any help with William James, or have you been able to track him?

Someone may be able to look for the deaths of the Hall's (I do not have access to Canadian BMD's).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

My main person to track is Thomas, but many families stayed in same area when they first emigrated hence inclusion of the other names.

At the moment I don't have anything else for the Stewarts in Monaghan but at least I have the parents and 2 children's name so that's a good start for Monaghan.

The record I put up spells Lisnalveen but it is actually Lisnaveen, CoMonaghan, this is Aughnamullen parish so will be no problem getting those records and hopefully photograph them.

I have other relatives in New York but with this Ward and that Ward and all the different areas Queens/Bronx etc I need to go to College and study New York just to know where to look... ::) Same with Canada, all I have is York County wherever that is.

There are a few possibilities on Ancestry but they are just that for now as all I have is the marriage. If there were births for this couple it would help when looking at family units on Census.

The likes of the death record attached could be him but without data of his life it's impossible to tell. The ages fit but that is it! Although Thomas married in a Presbyterian church, he was the son of a Methodist Minister...

Moderator comment: image removed.  Only SMALL portions of such images may be posted to assist in deciphering unclear handwriting.

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 01:15 BST (UK) »
When researching in Ontario, keep in mind that York (not York County) and Toronto are the same town/city.  I don't remember the date, but at one point York became Toronto.

Also, if you do research your Stewart's, the name may have been recorded as Stuart.  My Stuarts were from Sligo, Ireland and (my) records in Ontario fluctuate between Stewart and Stuart spellings.

I don't suppose you would know either of the gentlemen's occupations?  If they lived in Toronto, they may be included in the Toronto City Directories:
http://digitalcollections.torontopubliclibrary.ca/webDC/begin.do
You can view the actual images.  Directory pages (for the most part) include name, occupation and address.
----------
History of the name changes  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_of_Toronto
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 02:22 BST (UK) »
Thomas would have been a farmer here. Yes the name spelling can be tricky...have one Hall but he turns out to be Hawl. Longmoore/Longmore..Even Lisnaveen is spelled Lisnalveen on Ancestry.

Can't help with Sligo Stewarts I'm afraid... Monaghan yes!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Can't seem to see them in 1881, although I found one in U.S. but the Thomas says born N.Y.
Also didn't spot so far in 1891...but likely an age out or spelling, or they are using middle names or pet names

There is a death for a George James Hall-1934 with mother as Lizzie but I don't have access to help rule it out....  :D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello hallmark :)

Regarding the 1871 Census for Thomas Hall......

The index is only heads of households but the films are available to view at my local Family History Center. I will look up the rest of the household for you  while I am at the center tomorrow.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 20:48 GMT (UK) »
If you, or your local library, subscribe to www.ancestry.ca , you will find the complete 1871 families there.  I am not sure which other version of ancestry include all of this.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein