Author Topic: William Wallace Rayner- look up request  (Read 3337 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Wallace Rayner- look up request
« on: Sunday 29 June 14 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, William married Caroline Phillips 21.07.1892 in Poplar. They had 1 son also William Wallace born 1893. From then on they led a pretty dysfunctional life. William and Caroline abandon son William to a neighbour who raises him and all facts are known as to his outcome. William senior is then recorded crossing from Canada to US as a single man on the 18.08.1896. His death certificate back in the UK in 1947 records he died 06.05.1947 at Pouchlands House East Chilhaugton. It also shows he was of the address " ELLERSLIE, VALLEY ROAD, RODERICK AVE, PEACEHAVEN. Trying to establish if prior to his death whether Caroline was with him at this address, as from 1896-1947 I have nothing for them at all. There's a possible death in Brighton in 1967 of a Caroline E Rayner that my be her. Death age is out by a couple of years as she was 21 in 1892 when she married. Her father was James Phillips a stone mason who again I cannot find any details of from census.
Any help with this matter would greatly be appreciated.

Softly Softly

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wallace Rayner- look up request
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 June 14 09:56 BST (UK) »
It will be East Chiltington, near Lewes, and probably means he died at Pouchlands Hospital.  You should get lots of information on that if you google it.  Formerly the workhouse, in fact it was the workhouse in 1947.  Now a housing estate but I can remember it as the hospital.
21 on a marriage often means just of full age so she may have been over 21.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 June 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your details posted. I know 21 refers to full age, but also have known on more than one occasion where they recorded 21 but were often under age as well. It's strange this couple do not appear on 1900/10/20/30/40 us census or 1901/11 uk census but William certainly returned to the uk.

Softly Softly

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 June 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
What was Caroline's address at marriage, and who were the witnesses?

What was William's stated age at marriage?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jann

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 June 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The fact that he crossed into the US doesn't mean that he stayed in the US.  He may have returned to Canada.

Have you looked for him in Canadian records?  Are you sure they had only one child?

Jann

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 June 14 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, William was also 21 when he married (and was born 1872). Carolines address at time of marriage was 22 St Leonard's Road, Bromley. Witnesses were Jenny Fie**en and E D Currie neither mean much to me. With regard to him not staying in the us and returning to Canada. I did a post on Canadian board andhe does not seem to appear on 1901/1911 Canadian census. However, by coincidence there is a Caroline Rayner returning from Canada with lots of children-one of them even called Wallace. This is a not her as rc's in Canada traced the births of these children and mothers maiden name is incorrect, the father was also William!!!!! My initial enquiry is for a look up pre 1947 at the address quoted to see if a Caroline was living at this address.

Thanks for all help so far, really appreciated.

Softly Softly

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 June 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
My initial enquiry is for a look up pre 1947 at the address quoted to see if a Caroline was living at this address.

It looks as though 'Ellerslie' was No17 Valley Road.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/016v6/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 August 14 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, a further small enquiry re this post. I know electoral registers were not taken during the 1939-45 war period. Did/are there registers for 1946/47.

Thanks

John

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 August 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
However, by coincidence there is a Caroline Rayner returning from Canada with lots of children-one of them even called Wallace. This is a not her as rc's in Canada traced the births of these children and mothers maiden name is incorrect, the father was also William!

Too many similarities to abandon so quickly!
WHat maiden name was given for these children?  Might Caroline have been married before, thus making the surname when she married Wallace (Phillips) different from her maiden name? Or maybe she changed names at some point in her life, maybe taking a step fathers  name or some such other scenario?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk