Author Topic: DOLAN McAleer  (Read 7782 times)

Offline smakcanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • searching Irish roots with Scottish branches
    • View Profile
DOLAN McAleer
« on: Monday 22 October 12 02:24 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Michael Dolan who married Margaret McAleer in Newtownstewart in 1891. I need to know who his parents were. Michael and Maggie had 3 children then moved to Glasgow where Maggie died in 1901. The children moved back to Ireland and lived with Michaels cousin Jane who was married to James Coyle and lived in Londonderry in 1911.
Thank you for any help.
Kenny, Gault, Douglas and Devlin, Dolan, Magrenra

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DOLAN McAleer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 12 08:05 BST (UK) »
What looks like Michael Dolan’s marriage to Margaret McAleer was registered in Omagh Jul – Sept 1891 Volume 2, page 228. The fathers names should be on the marriage cert.
Elwyn

Offline smakcanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Yes I have the marriage certificate and it shows MIck Dolan as father but no place of birth. I already have lots of info on Maggie McAleer father, John and mother, Sarah Carr. What I need .is to determine Michaels place of birth and mother's name. I also have conflicting years of birth for Michael: 1867 or 1869. I can't find a Michael son of Michael born in 1869 in Newtownstewart.

I believe Michael was cousins with Jane Coyle and with Frank Dolan who was a RSM in WW1 and is commemorated on Londonderry monument but info says he was born in Newtownstewart Co. Tyrone. Frank enlisted in Glasgow. His father may be Joseph or Hugh.
Thank you again.

Offline smakcanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 12 15:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry my mistake ROBERT Is Michael's cousin born about 1882. Jane Coyle was his sister. He died 27 March 1918 - killed in action. Husband of Mary Bridget Dolan of 8 Dillon Street, Tipperary.

After the death of his wife, Maggie, in Glasgow Michael is ???. Their 3 children: Elizabeth Catherine born 1892, Margaret Ann born 8 Oct 1894 (my grandmother) and Frank born 25 Jan 1897 show up living with Jane and James Coyle in Londonderry in 1911.

I have quite a bit of info on them but I still don't have a definitive place of birth, date of birth or parents (other than the name, Mick) for Michael Dolan.

Once again thank you for any assistance.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 12 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is a Michael Dolan born to Michael Dolan and Mary Magrenra on 17 Mar 1869. The birth was registered in Holywell, Enniskillen District. This is about 40 miles from Newtownstewart.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline smakcanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 02:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you that's the only one I've found as well. It was just that Frank was supposedly born in Newtownstewart and Michael was married in Newtownstewart that I thought I'd check.
I really want to come to the UK and spend it in the. National archives to get all the documents I need.  :D

Offline Mairforder1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 September 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, my partner is the grandson of Robert Dolan RSM d.1918. We went to Newtownstewart a couple of years ago. He was also in Glasgow with his wife Mary Larkin. He met Mary when he was stationed at the barracks in Tipperary town (we went there too). When Robert was killed in action Mary went back to live with her family in Tipp. She did not marry again. We know that his father was a Michael as it is on his marriage cert. we also know he went to Glasgow with Michael to find work (in Roberts case, to join up). doesn't this make him a brother of your Michael rather than a cousin, as they couldn't both have had fathers called Michael . .  ::)

Offline smakcanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 September 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
hello Mair:
You are correct. We had corresponded previously (before you went to Newtownstewart) & I didn't realize that Michael Dolan (my greatgrandfather) was married previously to his marriage to Margaret McAleer. I apologize! His Civil Marriage Record states he was "full-age over 21" NOT 22. he was much older. I now know that Michael was married previously.
Marriage 1. 24th Oct 1876
Enniskillen, Fermanagh.
Husband: Mick Dolan, Labourer. Father: Mick Dolan, Garrison.
Wife: Maggie Nichol, servant age 20. Father: Robert Nichol, Downpatrick

They had children Robert, Jane, & Michael (at least). Maggie died about 1890 (don't have records.

Does your Robert have any photographs?

Cheers,
Siobhan

Offline smakcanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 September 13 23:18 BST (UK) »
Mair:
Hi again.
Robert Dolan Civil Birth Record
dob: 14 Nov 1881
Date of Baptism: 21 Nov 1881
Address: Mary Street, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh
Father: Michael Dolan
Mother: Margaret Nicol
Sponsor 1: Mary

from LondonDerry Diamond War Memorial
Regimental Sergeant Major Robert Dolan
'C' Company, 7/8th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Regimental Number 13133
Born: ---- Died: 1918-03-27 Aged: 36 Enlisted: Enlisted Glasgow.

Name recorded on the Pozieres Memorial, Somme, France. Name also commemorated on the Diamond War Memorial.

Husband of Mary Bridget Dolan, 8, Dillon Street, Tipperary. Brother of Mrs James Coyle, 78, Duke Street, Waterside, Derry.

Regimental Sergeant Major Dolan was through the Boer campaign, and in the First World War was twice wounded. He served with the 1st Battalion Inniskillings throughout the South African campaign, and held the King's and Queen's South African medals. Shortly after his death, members of his family placed the following lines in a Derry newspaper:

'O, Blessed Mother Mary,
On him your prayers extol.
O, Sacred Heart of Jesus,
Have mercy on his soul.'
On the second anniversary of the death of Robert Dolan, his sisters and brothers, and brother-in-law, 78, Duke Street, had the following sentiments inserted in a Derry newspaper:

'He was a brother true and kind,
Loved by those he left behind;
Forget him, no, we never will,
As years roll on we love him still.'

Robert Dolan in his Regimental Papers notes a brother, John but I have yet to find anything on him records-wise.

Mrs. James Coyle was Robert's sister, Jane. Their Civil Marriage Record
25 May 1902
Parish/District: Glendermot or Waterside Urban.
County: Derry
Husband: James Coyle
Address: Waterside Derry
Bachelor
Wife:
Jane Dolan
Waterside Derry
Servant Girl
Spinster
Husband's Father: Hugh Coyle, Farmer
Wife's Father: Michael Dolan, Labourer
Witness 1: B. Heaney
Witness 2: Maggie Fitzgerald
Notes: St. Columba's RC.

My grandmother when she was a child lived with James & Jane & their family (see 1911 Irish Census. Londonderry No. 5 Urban, Duke Street # 53). Lizzie, Margaret & Frank Dolan were half-siblings of Robert, Jane & John.

I've also had correspondence with relative of Margaret McAleer d. 1901 at 8 Bishop Street in Glasgow.
Maggie McAleer's brother, John b. Newtownstewart married Sarah Malloch d. about 1911, Ireland. Her siblings were Maggie (Mick Dolan's 2nd wife & my greatgrandmother), Sarah Jane, Francis, Edward, James, Mary Ann & Ellen. John & Sarah's children were John, Ruby, Lily, & James.
Lily was born at 8 Bishop Street, Glasgow (where Maggie McAleer died). Her sister (which one?) married Patrick Dolan (was this Patrick a brother to Robert?).

I know Mary Bridget & Robert married in 1915, had a son Robert (your partner's grandfather) & a daughter, Brigid (?) born 1916 & 1917 (?). What is their story?

Thank you,
Siobhan