Author Topic: Marriage 1770 Broadhembury  (Read 1788 times)

Offline nineyman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Einstein & Daisy-The Kids
    • View Profile
Marriage 1770 Broadhembury
« on: Tuesday 20 April 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
We have a copy of the marriage of George Johnson and Mary Harding from the Broadhembury parish register, can any one hazard a guess as to how old they would have been at that time, we would like to know who their parents were any family and the baptism records in fact everything about them as the marriage is all we know. any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Son of Nineyman
Somerset & Devon  Johnson, Cook, Mappledoram,Bevan, Dudridge, Dixon
Sussex  Dyer Bishop Hodges Luxford
Lancashire  Fullard/Fulland Hendley
Scotland. Shanks

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage 1770 Broadhembury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 23:41 BST (UK) »
 Personally I work on the rule of thumb of marriage at 20 years old.

The IGI has 2 extracted baptisms of a George Johnson to a George and Catherine.

1. 9.1.1748 Paignton.

2. 22.10.1753   "

So possibly the first one died.  :-\

Also an  extracted  baptism of a Mary Harding 14.11.1753 Ottery St Mary to William and Mary, there is a further submitted record which states Mary Daw.

Ottery St Mary was a township or civil parish in the Honiton registration district as was Broadhembury from 1837

this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline nineyman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hiya patrish

20 years sounds good, however my dad went back 25 and could not find George, I'm sorry I'm not as good as my dad was I should have checked the IGI, but I did go and look and found several for  Mary Harding including one that states Mary Daw Harding, so young Mary b 1753 could be the same one this would have made her 17 years old when she married George, not out of the question. plus the parents. Good work Thank you
Scotland. Shanks

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Re Mary Harding.

Don't forget they are baptism dates not actual dates of birth, sometimes several children of the same family were all baptised together so not all the same age, and you often  come across a baptism years after the birth date , even into adult hood. ::)

Be cautious of submitted entries as they are not taken from the actual registers.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline nineyman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
However the dates will give us a starting place, when we can get to the Devon Records Office. We need more stuff to work with on George Johnson first it's not worth the long drive there and back, just for Mary Harding

Thanks again for all the info
Scotland. Shanks

Offline uncleagent61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 February 14 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I have George Johnson and Mary Harding in my tree; their daughter Sarah was my 3 x great grandmother. I have quite a lot of information which the online parish clerk sent me when I enquired about Sarah Johnson's marriage to James Budd, which it turns out was in Exeter. I have attached the file.

Re age at marriage, while some couples married fairly young quite a lot were in their late 20s or even early 30s, and it seems quite common for the woman to be older than the man.